1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden assistance

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Prelude22, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

I just got my 50pk DVD-R shiny silver from Newegg. It doesn't say anything on the discs and the cakebox. How do I know if these are real? According to Dvdinfopro the media code is TYG01. Does Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs have a name on the disc? According to Newegg they are supposed to be retail. Thanks.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

I see. How come there is no brand name. Is it because they manufacture it themselves, unlike the ones you buy at the stores?

4. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

Also, I read that article and it warned of unbranded fake. But how do you distinguish the real from the unbranded fake, just by the media code?

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Actually I think the fakes are using the TY media code illegally so that wouldn't tell you. The best way to make sure you're getting the real deal is to buy from a reputable seller. Since you said you got them from Newegg you should be safe there. If you do get fakes (or have any other problems with the media) you can post to this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/114809 to warn others.

6. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

OK. But I'm hoping somebody who used it before would be able to tell me if it is really normal not to have the name TY on the discs. Just curious. Thanks.

7. TR47

TR47 Member

I bought some GreatAZO discs from Meritline which use the TYG02 code illegally. They burn and play fine, but I don't think I will make a habit of buying them, not knowing if their quality control is good or not. They seem to be Taiwanese clones of Taiyo Yuden, they look similar but cheaper also-my guess, they're counterfeit TY's.

8. Nephilim

newegg is a very reputable dealer and I highly, highly doubt they would knowingly sell fake TY's.

9. vurbal

And if their discs were fakes I'm sure they'd like to know so they can correct it. I just received some Ridatas from them today. If prices stay where they are now I may switch to the TYs for my next order. I almost did this time, but as usual I was too cheap. But they were close enough to make me think twice this time.

10. vurbal

Post the information to this thread:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/114809

11. Prelude22

Prelude22 Regular member

Nephilim,

On the other TY Thread you said that in the past your TY 4x performed well with your Plextor. Do you remember if your TY 4x had the TY brand on the discs. This is really what I am trying to find out since I am fixing to order some more. Thanks.

12. Nephilim

They were actually Plextor branded Taiyo Yuden :)