1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden Discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kenkell, Feb 11, 2005.

1. kenkell

kenkell Member

Can someone tell me the difference(if any) between the TY Silver Thermal DVD+R and the TY Silver Matte DVD-R when it comes to burning quality and compatibilty playing in dvd players! I just bought 2 100 packs of the Silver Matte's from supermediastore.com and didn't realize they were different other then being +r and -r and that the silver thermal burns at 8X. This is my first purchase of the TY's and hope there isn't any real differences between the two! Is the quality expected to be the same? Any info. would be helpful!
    Thanks!

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

The TY disks on sale at supermediastore are old stock 4x disks. They were produced prior to the 8x, and should have a media code along the lines of TYG01 or YUDEN01 as opposed to TYG02 or YUDEN02. While I have never personally used them, I know that form its beginning Taiyo Yuden has been know for making the highest quality disks, so there should be no difference in quality between these and the newer disks.

According to digitalfaq.com and as far as I know, supermediastore is a very reputable retailer, so you shouldn't have to worry about getting fake disks. So as long as the disks are genuine, they will probably work great.

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

kenkell also theres no quality difference between DVD dash R or DVD plus R..there just different formats the dash R are more compatable with older and newer players and the plus R are more compatable with the newer players say the last two years .just depends on what burner/players etc. you are using. hope that helps

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

can you post a link to the silver matte's you got at supermediastore because all i see are silver thermals

5. kenkell

kenkell Member

Just recived the first 100 pack of the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R silver matte's from supermediastore.com! I burned one and it does'nt freakin play on my newer JVC XV-NP10 dvd player! It plays on a 6 year old Panasonic dvd player! I'm pissed! I thought these things would play anywhere? I've played other brands of dvd-R on the JVC and they played fine! I got another 100 coming of the TY's! What a big mistake! I guess i should have stuck with the +R format! The TDK dvd+r's I use work great and play on about 20 of my friends dvd players, old and new. No one has ever not been able to play the TDK dvd+r format. I should have just stuck with what I had!

6. pavement

pavement Member

Hrmm...I'm also new to the dvd game and have been burning TDK dvds which play fine on my crappy Apex player, my parents new pioneer, and a friend's X-box. I will someday own an HDTV, and after reading this forum I also decided to make the switch to Taiyo Yuden, but now wonder if I should...what would the benefit be, exactly? Are the TY's expected to last longer than the TDK's? Play with better picture quality? Play in more players? I wonder if someone could explain...

7. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Until you've actually had the backup discs for years, unfortunately there is no way to tell what your experience will be. TY's and TDK's should, in theory, last you a very long time as they are both reliable brands. But the only way to really know how long they will last is to experience it yourself really. As for picture quality and playing in more players, no difference between TY and TDK. I've never had a problem with either brand and I use both.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  8. kchev

kchev Regular member

@ kenkell,

what kind of burner do you have?

what is the media ID of the discs?

9. kenkell

kenkell Member

It's a philips dvd+-rw dvd8631 in my 4 month old Dell 8400. Media id of the discs? I'm not sure! The discs are completley plain without any writing on them. Nero doesn't seem to notice the burn speed like it does on the tdk discs which i think is odd, but it does burn well at 4x like the disc is supposedly rated for. It also plays well in the old DVD player, but it keeps trying to read it in the new one, unsuccessfully, I might add! Anymore help here?

10. kenkell

kenkell Member

The Taiyo Yudens DVD-R's I bought are ironically being advertised on the header of this forum right now! It was the 100 pack for $37 with free shipping!

11. adderal

adderal Member

use cdspeed2000 , it's even built into some versions of Nero w/ the toolkit ... it will tell u the media code

the free shipping 38$ (i got the 1$ spindle) showed up at my door yesterday

i've burn 3 dvd's so far and the media code i got was TYG01 on all three blanks using a nec-3500a off a Asus mobo and 7200.7 Seagate Barracuda 160

i was getting worried w/ all this talk here and over at cdfreaks about the possibility of these being fake TY's or an inferior stock of ty's

12. kenkell

kenkell Member

Okay, I'll try that, but I tried two different movies I burned from the pack and neither play in my sister's or her roommate's dvd player either! So that's enough for me. As I said before, they burned nicely without an error and played in one of my dvd players without a problem. I called Supermediastore and am returning all of them! They said no problem! I'll stick with the TDK DVD+R that have burned just about flawlessley with over 365 discs burned to date! They play in everyone's dvd player that I ever gave one to and that's about 15-20 dvd different players and computers! Maybe I'll sample the newer silver thermal TY DVD+R at a later date, but for now I'm staying with what works!

13. kenkell

kenkell Member

Cdspeed reads the TY's at TYG01. The TDK's I've been using regularly read at CMC MAG E01? Here's another question, how can I tell if I'm getting a good burn using the graphs in Nero? What is it telling me anyway and how do I use it? I haven't a clue to what it's telling me! Any info would be helpful! Still new to the game!

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Can you use Nero tools to see what the media code is on the disks that are giving you problems before you return them?

It would be a great help to us for in the future.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Yeah,what scuba bud said.
    fill us in on what your dealing with, because ive been debating on buying some of these myself.Help us out please.
    Thanks
    jD

16. kenkell

kenkell Member

Media code is TYG01 DVD-R! I guess they are real! Just aren't compatable in all the dvd players like I thought or hoped they would be!

17. garbun629

garbun629 Guest

Use Nero tool to read the Media code.
    Taiyo Yuden -R 4x should be TYG01 (same as Fujifilm 4x -R).
    New Taiyo Yuden -R 8x is TYG02, which I purchased 50 of them to test.

So far so good...very good quality!

18. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

All accounts say these are the genuine article. I'll know for sure by friday when mine arrive. :)

19. kchev

kchev Regular member

1. open cd-dvd speed
    2. click extra
    3. click disc quality test
    4. set scan speed at 4x
    5. start test

PI errors are ok, you will always have some of these. you just don't want alot

PI failures are not as good and you don't want any of these, although you will usually have a few on a good burn

report back your PI errors and PI failures average & maximum values

20. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Your problem is the format -R. Not the discs.