1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taiyo Yuden problem....

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by dvdauthor, Apr 2, 2005.

1. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Well, for a while I was really enjoying the quality of the Taiyo Yuden dvd-r's I purchased (white hub printable btw). I recently did a favor for a friend and transfered some vhs tapes to dvd for her and of course, they were printed on and they looked great (no, I didn't actually watch the entire thing because it was to long) - so I did the normal scan through and I made sure all of the menu buttons were working correctly. Today, she tells me that in certain areas it's freezing up on her but it stops just for a second or two and then continues. These discs are not filled up all the way, only an hour is on each. I just did a scan with dvdinfo pro and it found 21 errors. I really don't know what that means though. I hope that this can somehow be fixed because I put A LOT of work into these projects. I tried watching them myself and from what I saw they were fine...maybe I do have to watch the whole thing....

the media code is: TYG02 - hopefully they are authentic.

any suggestions? explanations?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2005
  2. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

I should update:

I checked out the disc that I scanned and it turns out the edge is slightly "ridgey" (I know, that's not a word) and the dye near that side of the disc (at the edge) is not even at all. maybe I just got a bad disc in the pack? I'm scanning something I made for myself (that's even longer) and it's fine...

can I copy this to another dvd to solve the issue? or am I screwed? what do you think?

3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

dvdauthor,
    Those are legit Ty's if I am not mistaken. You need to re-burn and try it at a slower speed to see if you can rid of the errors. Cut off your cable or DSL Modem and cut-off all non essential processes. Make sure you do not have any DLA packets installed as that can cause errors in the burn.

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Do not re-scan as that will give you the errors again. Just re-burn from the computer the compilation you made

5. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

thanks, i'll give it a shot - can I copy it from the disc with the errors? I no longer have the original project. this was given to her a week ago. also, if a dvd has a "crc" error, does that mean it's simply a bad disc? - I've been looking at some of my other projects and they have 1 or 2.

6. kenneth1

kenneth1 Regular member

If you copy the disc the way it is, the copy will turn out the same, you need to re rip and make a new file

7. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

Ok, here's what I decided to do - I decided to just sit down and actually watch it - all the way through. It played flawlessly. Even though info pro said there were errors, I didn't notice anything.

should I bother re-ripping it? or should I just tell her it's probably her player? she only tried it on one player - and I said she should have tried it on another.

8. dvdauthor

dvdauthor Guest

so basically, if I was to extract the files, save them to my hard drive, and then reburn onto a fresh Taiyo Yuden disc, It should (technically) have no crc errors? Also, what happens if there is 1 or 2 - or even 21? - they all play fine for me..some of my older burns have errors but I have no problem. maybe i'm not understanding what a "crc error" is??
    Also, I ALWAYS copy my original movie which is on an -RW to the -R - I never burn to an -R first....if that means anything/does that mean the -RW had errors as well? or that it was just the TY? i'm so confused :(

9. Heeeeeee

Heeeeeee Guest

I recently bought some "TDs" but I dunno how authentic they are...I recently tried to back up Saw but for some reason, it doesn't work. I haven't tried it yet in my apex 1130w dvd player but on my computer it doesn't work. weird huh...is is the discs or the player? or maybe even I didn't burn it correctly. I ripped it with dvd shrink (I didnt change any settings , i.e. I left everything as default) and backed it up as an image file (ISO) to my hard drive and then used nero to burn it. the discs I got are located here: http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles.html

any ideas? I'm confused....I'll try to burn the movie again, maybe this time another movie. I'll try Replacemnt Killers :eek: :)

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@Heeeeeee - post your nero log..

11. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ heeeeeee

i think you meant to say you recently bought some "TY's", the link you have is the exact same discs i just recently received and have been using for well over a year (much higher in price a year ago naturally :p )

they are authentic, if you read my other posts in other threads, from EXPERIENCE, i have over 1,000+ burned with those TYG01s with very few coasters which were due to my own fault.

perhaps an idea of your setup might give me and others a chance to see why you are having problems with that particular movie, TY's are great, best of luck with your other burns.

12. creaky

@kivory666 , that reminds me, i didn't mention about 'SAW' . I read that some ppl had trouble ripping this movie. Not sure if it's arccos protection without searching. Only reason im not sure is i wasn't keen enuff on this movie to want to back it up, so didn't pay enuff attention to the threads.. When Heeeeeee comes back we'll have a bit more info..

13. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ creaky

yes, i guess we just have to wait till heeeee gets back, i believe i did have some problems ripping it too, but, after a few tries using anydvd with shrink, i got it to work. btw i have a MASSIVE dvd collection, im a collector actually, so i have the originals to every one of my 1,000+ backups. perhaps i'm reading your response incorrectly, but SAW wasn't worth backing up, IMO.

14. Heeeeeee

Heeeeeee Guest

it got to 97% and then I had enough...I waited for another 10 mins and then I cancelled the action of "verifying contents on disc"....anyway, i went home and put it into my apex 1130(w?) dvd player and it didnt work at first. it tried to autoload the dvd and then it suddenly stopped. then I pressed play on the remote and it immediately started playing. after that I experimented with the menus and the fast forward selection....I had no problems whatsoever. Anyhow, I guess it works fine but I have to actually hit play on the remote for the dvd to start playing. This only applies to SAW btw. I haven't tried other movies. Anyone know how to make the movie autoplay (i.e. go straight to the menu, then select options from there...?)? thanks :D

also how do I get to my nero log? :confused: :(

15. Heeeeeee

Heeeeeee Guest

@kivory - yeah i recently purchased them for $31.62 including shipping. and at first i was like wtf cuz they didn't have any labels on them. :eek:

anyhow, it seems they are legit and they work great! :D my setup is as follows:

software config is as follows:

running win xp with sp2 installed
    use nero ultra 6 burning rom as software for nec-3520 drive
    use dvd shrink (latest version, I think it is 3.2)
    I also have dvd decrypter but am sorta weary of using it cuz i already have nero installed. ( i have not installed this software yet )

hardware config is as follows:

nec drive (primary)
    toshiba dvd 16x drive (secondary)
    celeron D 2.4 ghz processor
    asus p4p800se mobo
    western digital 160 gig hdd partitioned at 10 gigs and other part is allocated for data (primary)
    western digital 200 gig hdd for more data(secondary)
    ati aiw 9600xt video card
    enermax 420W power supply
    antec superlanboy case
    mitsumi floppy disk drive
    1 GB mushkin pc3200 ram (2 x 512 mb)

hope this helps ;)

16. Heeeeeee

Heeeeeee Guest

oh yeah, i forgot to include another "situation". both my toshiba 16x dvd drive and my nec 3520 drive cannot play the disk...do you think I need to do a firmware upgrade? I installed powerdvd 5.0 and have wmp 10. nero should be able to play it with its viewing utility (nero showtime, I believe) but it cannot either. I can play bits and pieces of it but only when I explore the dvd and double click one of the video files in the tsf_video folder. weird huh? anyhow, if you have any ideas, lemme know :D

thanks

17. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ heeeeeee

usually a firmware update helps the situation out, i too have a nec 3520 on a 2nd computer of mine, i know i have updated the firmware on that drive recently, im sorry i don't remember what version it is, but, it never hurts to keep up to date w/ firmware. as to not being able to view on your dvd-rom (computer), i have the exact same problem with that particular movie "Saw"...even on my stand-alone, sometimes i have to press "play" before the movie will start. i have yet to find a solution to this either, but, to me personally, it is not a big deal, i have watched the entire movie from beginning to end with no playback issues, only having to press "play" in the very beginning. hope that helps a little bit, just from personal experience, i know exactly what you are talking about with that movie.

18. creaky

@Heeeeeee (i just posted this in your other thread 'freezing'.
    if i recall it's in program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log or similar..
    make sure you don't post your serial number, its near the top starting with 1A21 or similar. Plus (my log anyway, maybe cus i'm using an older version) is appended to, so only post the last section which will be from the last burn

19. SparkBear

SparkBear Member

I have just discovered I have this problem with TYG02 blanks [under Bulk Paq label]. They freeze on a brand new Pioneer 575, I get CIRC errors on PC using Liteon DVD-ROM and NEC RW BUT they play flawlessly on my older Picot DVD Player? Sadly, I have burned 19 of these and they all seem to have the same problem! I have other Bulk Paq disks but not made by Taiyo Yuden. What annoys me even more is I thought these were the best blanks and saved them for my best backups!! Does anyone know if it is possible to rip the files off [someway and reburn on a good blank?

20. creaky

@SparkBear - those Bulkpaq are fakes. I got caught out by those when i started out. Though for me i bought them as they were cheap, more then the media code..
    Have a look here - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/177553

You can try copying from them but it's probably a lost cause...