1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking Audio Out for Better Quality Need Help please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by TAURIAN7, May 27, 2004.

1. TAURIAN7

TAURIAN7 Guest

Thank you for looking at my message, I just got The Lord Of the Rings Return of the King DVD and i am backing it up using DVD shrink but i noticed there are 2 types of audio AC3 5.1 English and AC3 2ch English, so my question is if i take out the AC3 2ch and keep the AC3 5.1 English will my audio sound any different from the Original, if not can you suggest any other ways of keeping better quality, mind you i am just backing up the movie no Menus or subtitles
    any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
    TAURIAN

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

It depends on your sound system. If you have a 5.1 system you can safely dump the 2ch sound and, likewise, if you have a 2.1 system you can dump the 5.1 sound.

3. karen2003

karen2003 Regular member

I have a similar question. On many of my DVDs there are THREE audio files listed -- one AC3 5.1-ch. and two AC3 2-ch (plus on some separate audio files for director's comments & the like, but I'm not talking about those kinds of files). Very often the two AC3 2-ch listings are identical, e.g. in Shrink it will say:

1. AC3 2-ch. English -- 147mb
    2. AC3 5.1-ch. English -- 294mb
    3. AC3 2-ch. English -- 147mb

My question is, are the two AC3 2-ch. listings really the same audio file? If so, why are they listed separately? Most importantly, if I uncheck one of the two 2-ch.'s, will this affect the back-up? I just can't figure out why there are two 2-ch.'s. Thanks.