1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tales of the abyss

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Z3120, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Alright, since this game hasn't been mentioned for no more then a few times on this forum, I'm going to ask anything that's related to this game here; and to those that have played this game, as scarce as the number of you are, I've got a few questions to ask. So hopefully you can help me out. I'm a bit desperate right now and don't know where else to ask or look especially for this. If anyone has any suggestions or can point me to the right direction, please do if you don't mind.

1.) Has anyone had any luck shrinking asmodean's version of ToA to a reasonable size that doesn't need a TOC refresh for the slim-line PS2s?
    First of all, I actually own this game, but I was a bit anxious to hear about the difference of his version compared to mine, so I wanted to give it a try. Anyway, I've tried rebuilding the ISO multiple times and tried some compressions here and there but have had no luck with it. Since it was probably already rebuilt, I guess that solves one question why I can't shrink it any less then what it is already.

2.) If you had to remove or edit some files in the game, what were they and what did you remove? And if you did remove or changed some files, what were the results of what you edited while playing the game? And what was the size of the game?

I'm thinking about removing a specific file in the game just to see how it runs, but I don't want to run the risk of wasting any more discs to test out the few particular ones I might be able to remove and continue playing the game without. And well, despite saying that, before I even consider doing this method, I was wondering if anyone has actually done this already and wouldn't mind posting what they've experimented with and how'd it worked out for them?

3.) Does rebuilding the original ToA game and playing the rebuilt one even worth the effort?

I'm just curious as to those who've rebuilt their original copy of ToA or has played a backed-up copy, have you had any actual and noticeable improvements to the loading time or is it practically the same as the original game? I would actually experiment on my own and see but the main dvd reader/writer I use is temporarily on 'off' mode again. Won't be back up until the end of this week, but I can't seem to be patient and wait. Besides keeping your original copy in mint condition when playing the backup, is it really the same? Just wondering if it's the way they put the data on the disc or was it the programmer's fault entirely the loading times are the way they are like dummy files, which doesn't seem like it when looking at the files in the iso (seems mainly Namco's fault...)

Off topic: Q.) Unless someone wants to help explain to me how to do a TOC refresh for my v.15 slim-line PS2 with my Swap Magic 3.8 coder DVD disc?

The problem goes like this: successfully load the Swap Magic disc and get the menu to pop up; removed one of the sensors temporarily for it to request a TOC refresh; replaced it with an original Xenosaga or GTA: San Andreas game; covered the sensor I removed from before for my PS2 to read again; and then what? It just keeps spinning and spinning. Unless, from what I've heard is right, I'm suppose to switch disc while it's spinning? Sounds dangerous to me already but anyone want to confirm this for me?

2. hursty

hursty Active member

Never heard of then game tbh,but post a full file list anyway,i will take a look.
    but from what i know the game is only 4gb or so,so TOC refresh is not needed

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Sorry for the double post. Doesn't seem my image was hosted properly or I didn't do it properly. If you or anyone can't see that image, reply or post back here in the thread and I'll try elsewhere. Anyone with any other recommendations on where and how to do this?

Trying another image host:

[​IMG]

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

Problem solved. Just had to replace a file. Thanks hursty for thw help anyway.