1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tape method for swap magic works -- read info

Discussion in 'PS2 - Software boot discussion' started by wajax, Feb 10, 2005.

1. wajax

wajax Member

okay i'll just give you alittle backround before i explain the tape method . i had a chip installed that blew my slimps2 in about 2 hours (laser) there are so many laser fixes out there and although sometimes it works - it sometimes doesn't and the chip manufacturers agree that the current fixes are only temporary ,and take it any way you want but that sounds a bit like they have left it up to the public to beta test - now i'm not knocking anyone so dont reply with your arguments - i wont respond to it ... so i got myself a new slim ps2 and bought the slim tool - i'm sure if i played around with it enough it might have worked ,but then i discovered i would have to leave the cover open , i dont really like that idea - so anyway having this swap tool just me a little more wiser on how to do the tape mod and heres what i did .

1) removed the screws on the bottom (6) total and put a knife in between the panels just to pop that open -( you can see this on any chip site that shows how to disassemble)now i care fully snapped the top cover just till it will come free -to save the warranty sticker carefully lift the top cover up from front to back and use the sticker as the hinge ,the i just placed an eraser under the edge of the lid to support the sticker while i was working on it .
    2) choice of tape will determine how well this works for you ( and by the way -do not under any circumstance use super glue - it might have worked for the guy who wrote those instructions but if any glue touches the contacts on the switch - bye bye- its just like when u solder a chip - you have to remove any of the flux that might touch another contact or bye bye .so no glue - got it . electrical tape is not a good choice it's flimsy and that switch that you have to tape down believe it or not does have some good spring to it - i watched it lift the electrical tape off in about a minute . duct tape is good - i used a little square cut from a "report label" just one of labels that you peel and stick to a file folder - 3m makes em and you can get them at any office supply store - reason why i used this was becuase it has a stiff backing and alot better adhesion .
    3) now that thats was done i simply stuffed a small amount of tissue (and i mean a small amount) in the switch hole at the front left corner and gently poked it in til it was level with the tray ( be gentle).

now the slimtool comes with 3 tools to install the instal on the sensors we covered above and then they want a tool installed to hold the disc brake back - we dont need to do this becuase we can close the lid which will deactivate the brake - becuase the slim tool only works with the lid open u have to disable it permanently - and that sucks.

in the end it all works - and i tried the glue method also - so that is why i am saying dont use it ( kaboom ) i should have known better anyway because the fumes off tha stuff will speed up corrosion of the electrical parts anyway - that was grade 11 electronics .

i noticed that there is a company now selling caps that slip right over that internal switch - and i am going to try to find them again and buy that - i ahd the same idea in my head while i was doing th etape method -it just made perfect sense ,the kit came with 2 tools to install but i wouldn't bother with the second one and just use the tissue in the top left corner again - but the cap is a damm good idea - becuase the tape will sooner or later unstick from the heat anyway .... and for all those people who will reply with " we already know how to do it " this is just for new guy's and just another confirmation that it does work ..peace .

2. wajax

wajax Member

okay i'm way behind here -- that cap i was talking about is called a ghost switch (duh) and now that i have taken the slim apart and done a couple different of swap magic mods - my opinion would be that the ghost switch is the better tool to use if you dont mind opening your case - and again you can open the case easily and use the warranty sticker as a hinge .. just a note ,..after reading the ghost switch instructions - i would say dont clip the tab on the inside of the case like it says just leave it alone and the tray switch gadget is a pain - leave it out and use tissue to plug the hole -its more flexible so the lid will close as normal anyway - but i do like the cap for the internal switch for sure ..i'll let you know more when it gets here - but i have a good feeling about it ...