1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Target Size Too Big

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nworock, Feb 19, 2007.

1. nworock

nworock Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything.

I burn with Shrink/Decrypter and I've had this problem rarely but it's something I haven't found a way around. For some disks the green bar at the top showing how much room you have on the DVD shows red and once you click "backup" a window pops up saying "Target Size Exceeded" and says it may not be able to burn all the files. I've tried just using the main feature and one language, but it's still too big.

Is there a way around this or another program that'll work?

2. Shardel

Shardel Guest

After you open Shrink-Go to edit-then preferences. Set the target
    size for your disc smaller. I set mine at 4300 and never have had
    a problem. You will only need to set this once. The reason I like
    4300 is it keeps the disc from burning too close to the edge.
    What's happening is the size of your disc is to large to allow for
    finalizing the disc.

3. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

[​IMG]
    a pic for ya

When using Top notch media like Taiyo yuden and Verbatims u shouldn't have a problem, although i have mine set to 4400, i haven't had one bad burn. it seems to be more of a problem with other crap media.

Just curious what brand of media R u using?

4. nworock

nworock Member

Thanks, I tried playing with that (Setting it lower makes the red bar get bigger and gives me less room, so I set it to more) but still, even setting it to 4700 MB it just BARELY doesn't fit.

Oh, and I'm using Verbatim +R disks.

5. SDempsey

SDempsey Member

Just sounds to me like the disc you are trying to burn is longer than 2 hours. just click back up and let shrink do its thing. you will have to shrink the ISO image it creates again in order for it to fit on a 4.35 disc. hope this helps.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

What movie is this?
    I know you said main title only and one audio but the thing is still huge. I assume you are Re-authoring to do this?
    Making the target size smaller is making less room to put the already to big movie files in.
    You cannot make the file size any bigger than the size available on the disc so 4700MB is out.
    A DVD-5 can hold up to 4489 Mb so you need to have your final output somwhat smaller than that.
    The default DVD-5 target size of 4464 MB leaves more than enough room for the lead-out so you can actually go up a tiny bit. Say to 4470 Mb. But only if you use first class media.

Shrink will only compress so much. I think the limit is around 49%. You can continue but if you have red showing on the top bar, then that red amount are the video files that will be missing from the disc. You will probably get a burn error when you try and burn it.

The quality when burning with that much compression is going to be noticeably bad. You can always split it to two discs or burn it to double layer media.

Another trick is to Re-author and then use the "Set Start/End Frames" feature to trim all the ending credits off as well as the opening studio logos from the front. If the movie is that big I'd just split it though.

@SDempsey,
    I've tried something similar before but it didn't work. I was trying to use video files instead of an iso though. So your method may be the only option to get it onto one disc.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  7. nworock

nworock Member

Ok, right now I'm letting it make an ISO file despite it being oversized and I'll try shrinking that a second time and see how it works and if the quality is alright with it. If not I'll play around with the rest of the suggestions a bit and see how that works.

As for what it is, it's not a movie really. It's a Pride Fighting Championship show (Bushido 1). First time trying to copy one of these, but I've had the exact same problem if I've tried Ring Of Honor wrestling DVDs as well.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

How large are the files you're trying to burn? As for what will work better, check out Rebuilder. It takes longer, but will handle higher compression.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

nworock,

I would suggest you split this DVD into two and use two discs. The quality you are going to get isn't going to be worth it if you can even play it you will be lucky. You can easily split the movie in Shrink (use the Start End frame tool)

10. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

@nworock

First of all, Frank is absolutely 100% correct. You can not customized a DVD+R or DVD-R to 4700MB, that's way beyond it's capacity. With that in mind, a single layer (DVD5) can only holds up to 4489MB. Nearly 99% of all my backups are customized to 4465MB - 4470MB with 1st class media: Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Hitachi Maxell (Made In Japan) and so far I haven't had any issue whatsoever.

Out of curiosity, what's the original size (GB) of the original DVD? Reason I'm asking is that I haven't come across a DVD that "it can not" be transcoded/compressed or encoded. Below are some of the tools that I recommend for editing/re-authoring.

VobBlanker - extremely useful and powerful free tool to blank, edit, strip or cut unwanted junks (FBI Warnings, Previews/Trailers, advertisement, scenes, vts/pgcs/cells, etc.)
    PgcEdit - another useful tool to edit all your backups.
    MenuShrink - a great free tool to have (compress/shrink menu).
    IfoEdit - another great tool.

Simply do a search for those tools and there will be tons of guides on how to use them.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

If I was going with a split disc in Shrink, I'd use the Still Image insertion method (in Full Disc) to retain the navigation, which is lost in Reauthor. Rebuilder would be best though to keep it on one disc if that's wanted.

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes, DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP via 3 PASSES VBR would be the best choice for large compressions needed.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

No need for Still image insertion with Shrink just use the full disc mode and cut it in half all the menus will still function perfectly fine and no compression will be required. It is easy and fast if however one disc is desired then Rebuilder is for sure the way to go here.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

The free RB with free Hank's encoder is better than a transcoder.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Works with Still Image and no compression. I find the method easier, but that's me. ;)