1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK 8x only burn at 2x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by danw2002, Feb 13, 2005.

1. danw2002

danw2002 Member

hey all, finaly ran out of my TDK 4x DVD-r and went to 8x, code, TTG02 and they will only burn at 2x, what is up. firmware is up to date, and nero is up to date...BTW my burner is only a 4x iomega. also they seem to burn fine and 2x, and show fine on my home DVD player, just the burn speed droping to 2x is a PTA, as you get used to the 4x...thanks for any ideas....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  2. danw2002

danw2002 Member

anyone??

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

If you're sure that your firmware is up to date, then most likely it's just a matter of compatability between the disks and your drive. Often times with older burners, newer media will react unpredictable. You can try to find the offical product page for your burner, and see if they have a media compatability list. See if the TDK's are listed there.

4. danw2002

danw2002 Member

thanks for the response, but they are both TDK, one was 4x and worked perfect, no coasters(over 400 burned) and the 8x will only burn at 2x, but no coasters yet(about 10 or so) it is a iomega dualDVD DVDRW4216IND model...and firm ware is up to date, v1.21 and nero is 6.6 also latest update...any ideas would be great..thanks all...

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It doesn't matter if they're both TDK brand. They are completely different media. Different dye, and that's all that matters, not the name on the package.

I thought I said it clearly in my first post, but I quess not, so I'll spell it out. Some 4x burners just don't like 8x disks, even with the newest firmware. I don't know anything about Iomega drives, but are you even sure that the firmware you have supports 8x media? Have you ever tried 8x media before?

6. danw2002

danw2002 Member

yep, i am almost sure it is the player, but of course iomega does not have a clue. but i can not get 4x TDK any more...so i will jsut have to burn at 2x or get a new burner...oh well. BTW they look like the same, print on top, die color and all. thanks.