1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK armor discs

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mrmarch20, Feb 23, 2005.

1. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

Whatever happened to these armor discs that was supposed to come out. It has been a few years and no mass production in either the 25, 50 or 100 packs. I read that Maxell also created an armor plate for their blank dvds but nobody is selling. What gives?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

TDK still sells their Armor Plated discs singly and in three packs. I imagine they don't sell them in larger spindles because at $4 a pop the 50 spindle would cost $200 and I don't think there'd be enough takers at that price to make it worthwhile.

From what I've read Maxell's new discs are aimed at businesses needing the ultimate in data security such as the medical records field and will probably be ridiculously expensive as well.

3. mrmarch20

mrmarch20 Member

There was an article (don't remember where) that says the cost of doing armor coating is very small and that all new Blu-Ray discs will have them. The only reason I can see for TDK or Maxell not releasing in bulk quantity is that people wouldn't need to buy that many since there would be no need to replace due to scratches.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member