1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK Armor Plated Disks

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Pop_Smith, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hey, has anyone tired these? Do they burn ok? Are they really as durable as TDK says they are?

Sorry if i asked too many questions.

Thanks,
    Pop Smith

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I haven't used them myself (cost too dang much) but I gather that they're pretty tough to scratch. In a review Maximum PC did they had to put some muscle into a piece of steel wool to cause significant damage to the disc :)

3. chrisby

chrisby Guest

I have burned about 10 so far, no problems, actually seemed a bit more compatible in my set-top DVD than my regular TDK DVD-R's. As for durability, haven't been brave enough to abtually "test" them, but the surface looks durable?! I found them for $34 for a 10 pack in jewel cases at ACCA recording products, Google them. I have 50 more to burn soon, will let you know if I have any troubles.

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

At $3 a pop, I can burn 10 disposable copies. ;) A 1-cent slim cases works just as well.

5. chrisby

chrisby Guest

No doubt about it, but if you are archiving something important, or like me, if you are making copies of something custom made and selling them to people, I want a high quality, high durability disc. I will admit that I don't use any cheap discs, had problems with the silver layer actually peeling off some cheap discs. Anyway, if you want the durability, they seem well worth the money.

6. pieman

pieman Regular member

ive tried one....VERY hard to scratch.Only one problem tho....couldnt use it cos my pc wont play ball with dvdrw....does everything else flawlessly but slip a rw in and it freezes.So, i took out my anger on the disc.Tough little suckers!!

7. chrisby

chrisby Guest

DO they make it in a RW?, I have only seen them in DVD-R's. I would love to find some RW's. If so, where did you buy them?

8. pieman

pieman Regular member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  9. kinza

kinza Regular member

Scratching reminds me of an invention by d_skin. Just incase you haven't heard. This is partially from TIME magazine. It's a clear plastic coating that you put over a disc to protect it. You leave the cover on all the time, even when you play the disc. The laser from the player passes through the cover to the read the data it needs. Measures two-thousandths of an inch. It costs way less than the TDK Armor Plated Disks. Five for $5.99. This won't give you a high quality disc, but it will prevent from scratches and smudges.

www.d-skin.com
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=Relevance&mipp=10&uq=d_skin&_requestid=27378

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I remember the infomercial for that. Pretty neat idea, but I think they were alot more expensive. I also don't like the extra thickness and the possibility it could damage my burner.

11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

You could just use those on +/-R disks instead of +/- RWs, because after your done burning, just put the d skin thing on your write once disks and you won't have to worry about them hurting your burner ;)