1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK Indi DVD 440N: General Info, help, feedback, etc

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by BernWern, Oct 18, 2003.

1. BernWern

BernWern Guest

After reading through thousands of posts, it seems this drive has been overlooked for the most part. Any other satisfied owners? Any thoughts from anybody? Anyone know of issues? Anyone need help? Let me know.
    Peace,
    BernWern

2. strcruzer

strcruzer Member

I have one and it works just fine, I performed the firmware update and that seemed to stabilize the burning at 4x speeds. I use it with Roxio 6, DVD decrypter and instant copy

3. BernWern

BernWern Guest

Exactly why I started this thread. I see hundreds of posts regarding the Sony and Pioneer drives, but none about the TDK. After the firmware upgrade, I have only made one "coaster" disc, but that was due to a faulty stick of RAM. I currently am using DVD-Shrink, Alcohol 120%, and Nero 6.0 Ultra. These have yielded the best results for me so far, but soon I will be looking to create my own DVDs off from VHS and my digital camcorder. If anyone has doe this, let me know what works best for you. Also, not sure if it matters, but here are my system specs for reference/comparison.

AMD Athlon XP 1800
    MSI K7 Ultra motherboard
    768 MB DDR PC2700 RAM
    SoundBlaster 5.1 Gamer
    GeForce 4 440MX
    80 GB IBM DeskStar HDD
    TDK 4800B CD-RW
    TDK Indi-DVD 440N
    Windows XP Pro

Again, feedback/questions/etc are appreciated in regard to the TDK 440N.
    Peace,
    BernWern

4. cameoapp

cameoapp Member

I have an External TDK 440, it works fantastic. Quite as a whisper you dont even know that it is burning except for the light. :) I use TDK DVD+R media with it and have seen no problems as of yet (2 months). Rarely ever a coaster. Mine has ports for both firewire and usb 2.0 as well which is convienient. Anyone else have one of these bad boys?

5. sbasile

sbasile Member

Just got my external TDK yesterday. I'm trying to decide whether to use the 1394 Firewire or the 2.0 USB port.

I let you know how it works when I set it up. I hope that it works fast. I'm used to an internal HP 200i drive and I hope that it works a little faster than that even though it's external.

6. beaters

beaters Member

I'm looking at mebbe purchasing one of these (maketed as a Polaroid) and retiring my old Pioneer A03 out to one of my kids. I'd appreciate any feedback folks have with these as well.
    For the record I now run a:
    Shuttle SS51 w P4 2.6, 1 GB Ram, WD 80GB HD
    DVD Decrypter, DVD XCopy, DVD Shrink, various MPEG & DVD editing programs.

7. BernWern

BernWern Guest

All I have to say is GET ONE! Again, I have "backed-up" over 100 DVD's using DVD Shrink and Nero 6.0, and only one coaster due to faulty RAM. Ur system specs are way better than mine too. The new 8X's will be out soon in mass, but the media isn't available. Speaking of media, antone try Samsung BeAll discs yet? I can get 100 for 89 bucks, but not sure if my drive will like them. Let me know what u use and what u have tried. So far, I have only used FugiFilm DVD discs (all types).
    Peace,
    BernWern

8. sbasile

sbasile Member

I installed the TDK it on my HP P4 computer using the 1394 firewire port and it works just fine.

I haven't done any speed tests between the HP 200i 2.4 dvd burner and the TDK Indi DVD 440 external which is 4x on the DVD+R media so I don't know which is ultimately faster. When I get a chance, I let you know.

By the way, has anyone done any speed tests with the external TDK to see how long it takes to burn either a DVD+R or a DVD+RW on the TDK?

9. denizen6

denizen6 Member

i have the tdk 440 indi thought i got a bummer at first with all the dvd- or dvd+
    but i'll tell you i have had no problem except for fujifilm media
    i've used imation / hp / memorex / and tdk
    i use dvd decrypter & nero 5.10 tried 6 had nothing but problems went back to 5.10
    no problems
    i am running
    1700 intel pentium 4
    512 ram
    ati 9000 radeon card
    all in all it's a good burner
    i just did the hulk ( for my own personal backup-use)and had no problem with it
    i would say that it is a safe buy and well worth the 300.00 and whatever it is going for
    i also performed the firmware upgrade to 1.39
    and work's even better
    but that's only my opinion

10. BernWern

BernWern Guest

I must agree with Denizen6, after firmware it seemed faster. Personally, I prefer DVD Shrink and Nero 6.0, but again that is preferance. Incidently, I prefer to use the "Nero Express" option as it is quicker and yields perfect results.

Denizen6: u have had problems with Fugifilm media???? Please explain. That is all I have used so far.

Also, has anyone tried the BeAll discs yet??? Let me know when and if u do. I have already made over 50 of my own back-ups in the last 2 months, and need another 100 discs real soon. Anyone have suggestions on media or a place to buy it?

Peace
    BernWern

11. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Member

I have this drive it kicks ass. Anyone tried the new firmeware? 1.09, i'm at 1.08 and was wandering if there was a difference between the two.

12. sbasile

sbasile Member

I have the external TDK drive. I checked and there doesn't seem to be a firmware upgrade to the external drive.

I'm using it throught the 1394 firewire connection and it runs pretty fast on my PC.

If anyone knows about a firmware upgrade to the external TDK drive, I would like to know about it.

13. jeottum

jeottum Member

Hi there..

First...

I have a TDK 440NT, bought it from a site on pricewatch. Little confused on the model as I can't find anything on it. However, I see lots on Indie 440...Anyone have a clue?

Second...

So far I can burn dvd-r and -rw using CopyToDVD. I can do +r and +rw but it seems that only the burner can read them. My firmware is at 1.06 - is that the prob?

14. iwb

iwb Member

i recently bought this and am still learning how it works. i wanted to burn some episodes of my show that are in mpeg format so that i could play it on my dvd player. I set up the menu and used nerovision to burn to the dvd+r. I set it to superlong play and proceeded to burn. Midway "transcoding" (whatever that means), it gave me an error.

it said something like this:
    ########################################################################################
    ERROR
    cause: 128 (nmc_processing_exception)
    source: _DVDProcessor::processVOBU()
    description: VOBU must start with SYSTEM_STREAM
    ########################################################################################

and so i tried doing the dvd-vr guessing it would do what i want and ended up with this:

ERROR
    cause: 66 (write_fault)
    source: _VOBS
    description: The system cannot write to the specified device.

DumpExceptionInformation(): Caught SEH Exception 0xe06d7363 during encoding
    DumpExceptionInformation(): Exception was raised from C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll at RVA 0x00013887
    ERROR
    cause: 128 (nmc_processing_exception)
    source: _VOBS::_M_do_guarded_processing ()
    description: Exception during encoding

I didnt want to use the roxio easy dvd cuz it didn't let me burn in lower quality... I dont' know what else compiles dvd-videos... i dont' know what's going on... i need some HELP plz

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  15. BernWern

BernWern Guest

iwb:
    I am not an expert on those error messages, but they all appear to be linked to the files being encoded/written. That leads me to believe that this is a software error. I have not started burning my own VHS or even my digital video files to DVD yet, so I am at a loss for advice.....however, there are many other threads related to this type of issue. Not trying to sound rude, but u may want to check some other threads to find better software reccomendations.

Peace,
    BernWern

16. Demon16

Demon16 Member

I have a tdk indidvd 440n.. well im trying to burn with Nero but it wont work ... Roxio 6 recognizes my burner but how do i burn with it .. please sum 1 help me with this problum....when i burn with Nero it keeps failing and it is only burning at 2x when it is a 4x ....

17. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Member

Burning speed is determined by the blank DVD you use, not the drive. Use the latest Nero, it has no problem burning with TDK, and upload to the latest firmeware, it's now 1.08.

18. denizen6

denizen6 Member

correct me if i'm wrong
    but i think the latest firmware is 1.39 and i had a few problems until i upgraded to the latest firmware

19. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Member

Euhh, nope still at 1.08 on TDK's web site...

20. Demon16

Demon16 Member

Hey .. thank you guyz alot ... ill go do all wut u said