1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK keeps failing.... why?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by uva07, Jan 10, 2005.

1. uva07

uva07 Member

I recently purchased 3 50 packs of TDK DVD+R's from compusa for $20 each, and I ran them in the identifier and they are Ricohjpn. The problem is that I have tried to back up a DVD with them five of them failed in a row. It reads that there is a writesector error. So far none have worked and I thought they were supposed to be good. I have gone through a 100 pack of ESA brand DVD+R's that are by cmc magnetics and I at least had a 50% success rate. So far I have backed up approximately 50 of my DVD's and for some reason each time I stick a movie DVD into the burner to read it, the burner takes longer and longer to recognize that a DVD is in the burner. SO now it takes about 1 minute for the DVD to be recognized, whereas before it only took a few seconds. So i have no idea if this is related to why I have having horrible success with the TDKs. Any suggestions or advice would be of great help. Also, I have a lite-on DVD burner, not sure if it's good or not. Thanks.

2. uva07

uva07 Member

by the way, i am using 1click dvd copy to back up my dvd's... thanks

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Some suggestions:
    1) Try updating the firmware for your burner. See if the official product page for your burner has the newest firmware available.
    2) Also on the official product page, see if there is a list which contains the media that is compatable with you burner. See if the media you have is on that list.
    3) Use a different method of burning you dvds. Using a all in one program like 1click can make successful burning harder. Get DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. It breaks up the stages, so less strain is put on your pc. Google DVD Decrypter, go to the forum on their home page, and find the nice guide that explains how to use DVD Decrypter adn DVD Shrink in tandim. They're both freeware btw.

4. Gringle

Gringle Guest

If you're not de-fragging your pc on a regular basis, that can also cause some of the problems you're experiencing.
    My H/D is 120gig and XP suggests a de-fragg every couple of weeks when I'm downloading/burning a lot.

gringle

5. uva07

uva07 Member

thanks for the replies... i have now switched to using dvd shrink and dvd decrypter to rip and burn the dvd's and i have burned 10 straight with no coasters. I guess there was something that messed up while using 1click dvd copy.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

uva07,

One setting change suggestion for shrink. Click on edit at the top then preferences. Under target dvd size change that to custom and type in 4350 mb. This way you won't be burning to the extreme outer edge of the disc. You probably won't have any problem with the ricohjpns but some medias don't have as even of a dye layor at the outer edge. This should save you some problems down the road.

If you change media and start having freezing or pixelateing only at the end of the movie, decrease the target size even more.

7. amaze122

amaze122 Member

Mort81, Will that change limit how much you can fit on the target dvd?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

It won't really limit the amount, it will cause the compression to be just a hair higher (not enough you will notice). If the dye layor is uneven at the outer edge of the media, you don't want anything out there anyway.

9. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

what is "de-fragging"

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Defragment your hard drive.

11. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

how do u do that?

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

fancymojo..click.. START.. go to CONTROL PANEL ... click it..then click performance and maintenance...then click..rearrange items on your hard disk to make programs run faster..thats it..but first you go to tools delete file ..delete cookies and clear histroy...do a clean up on the c drive ,,then defrag. and you should do that about once a week. the disk cleanup

13. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Conversely, you can double click "My Computer". Then right click your hard drive and open up "Properties". Under the "Tools" tab you will find "Error Checking" and "Defragmentation".

Depending on how often you are backing up DVD's and moving files or deleting large volumes, you should "Defrag" at least twice a month. I do it every week because I backup and burn movies about 4 or 5 days a week and I move a ton of files. I have a 250 GB hard drive and "Defragmentation" takes about 2 hours.

As far as TDK blank media, you will get mixed results depending on who you talk to. I've had no coasters at all with TDK ever since I improved my burning method. If your method is sound and you don't try to rush things, the process of backing up movies successfully is actually rather straightforward and convivial. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005