1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tdk sucks

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by fancymojo, Jan 21, 2005.

1. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

me and some friends go to best buy to pick up the 19.99 spl on tdk's and we each get one 50 pk a piece the package states its a 8x but the highest speed any of use can get is 4x all are firmware is up to date every single disk we put in is 4x so i contact tdk customer support and they basicly called me a liar and said if i did buy the media at best buy to return it but best buy doesnt return opened media so i emailed them back and let them know this and i have gotten no answer has anybody else had this problem the id is ttgo2

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Bestbuy will take it back. Be more assertive. I see returned media on the shelf all the time. Either way, you can look at this as a learning experience. TDK doesn't work for you. And for the last 2 years and 3 burners, they haven't worked for me either. I personally think TDK sucks, but then again others love it. Use what works for you. Anyway tell Bestbuy that you spoke to someone at TDK and they said any retailer who sells their media is obligated to take back defects and send them back to the company themselves. Tell Bestbuy these are defective and you want an exchange. The 50 pk of 8x +R fujis are the same price. Give those a try. Good luck, and remember to be assertive. Don't take no for an answer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  3. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

thanks will try on sunday!

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ya, just remember, the people at best buy are usually just kids working for litte more than minimum wage. Even if they at first say no, lean on them a little bit, and you can see in their eyes as they say, "fusk it", and just do what you say.

Just to add an opposing view, TTG02 has work flawlessly with my nec3500. BUt different burners have different compatability lists.

5. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Ya, TDK is a brand I no longer take a chance on. Memorex is another.

6. Furd

Furd Member

Shame - when I started burning about a year ago I used TDK first. They ID'd as RICOHJPN and worked great. It's getting hard to tell what you will get these days. My last stack were Ridata RICOHJPN01 and they have been good also - no coasters yet.

Yes, give 'em hell at Best Buy. I am pretty unimpressed with them as an electronics retailer.

ff

7. kinza

kinza Regular member

The Sony DVD-R's I got from Best Buy are a 50-50 chance on my PS2. I have stopped buying blank media from Best Buy. It is always going on sale and it always turns out to be useless for PS2 backups. Do you guys know if they take back whatever is left of the spindle? I only used four DVD's.

8. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Make sure you buy the Sony's from Japan and you are good to go. I'm very impressed with the Sony Japan DVD-r's

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I just boght some japanese sony discs to check them out, but had to look through about 40 cake boxes at bestbuy before I found one that wasn't made in Taiwan. I also tried fujis and saw they were also made in japan. Anyway, both kinds seem to work great. I've also been using Verbatim +R DL that were made in Singapore and those work great as well.

10. kinza

kinza Regular member

the sony's i bought were made in japan.

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Don't forget, PS2 has one of the cheapest lasers and older models work with -R. The newer models with the ir sensor or the new slim size can recognize -+R, but even then it's still touchy. As far as returning them, just say they are defective. If they question you about the missing ones, tell them you threw them away because they didn't work and remember to seem irritated and angry when they ask. I've seen people return worse.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  12. kinza

kinza Regular member

I am still not sure if I should return it, but thanks [bold]wolfniggr[/bold].

13. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Kinza, what did your Japanese Sony DVD-r's ID as?

14. kinza

kinza Regular member

SONY08D1

15. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I've never had a problem with TDK 4x +R's ... even the media id was cmc. But always good burns.

16. jay33

jay33 Regular member

That's the same ID for the Sony I have. I've been very happy with them. They are kind of off-white colored tops. I have 2 sony burners, so I don't know if that would help my compatibility more or not....I doubt it.

17. kinza

kinza Regular member

ps2 lasers are just really picky.

18. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Sometimes if you burn som emedia too fast some players won't read them. Perhaps this is the case with your PS2.

19. fancymojo

fancymojo Guest

i had the same problem with other media but i started to burn at 1x yes it takes time but the burn is perfect

20. kinza

kinza Regular member

i select the burn speed as 1x on decrypter but for some reason it always burns at double of what i select. same with nero.