1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tdk vs. sony

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by kinza, Jan 2, 2005.

1. kinza

kinza Regular member

CompUsa has 50 TDK(4x) DVD +R/-R for $20 and Best Buy has 50 Sony(4x) DVD +R/-R for the same. Which one is a better deal? I prefer TDK over Sony but should I buy from CompUsa?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

GO with the tdk. I've used it and it works great, and while I've never used sony nedia, I've heard bad things about it. And compusa is a fine store to buy from.

3. bardie

bardie Regular member

Well Balaam, what bad things have you heard about Sony media?

4. modded

modded Member

digitalfaq.com says that compusa isn't very good with refunds even if the media is bad. im a little apprehensive buying from them. Balaam, have you ever bought media from CompUsa?

5. kinza

kinza Regular member

I can't figure out what to buy!! I think I am just going to wait for the Prodisc samples I ordered to see if they work on my PS2 and Panasonic. If they do then I'll just order those and save myself a lot of time. I checked on videohelp.com and some people said Prodisc silver top media does not work on their PS2 while most people with white top media said it does. I don't know which one to buy.

6. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

Well, i have had Sony +'s, i have burned about 15-20 with no coasters.
    they have been good for me, but some medias outsource to many different companies, so quality can vary from batch to batch.
    im not sure which media these are (i.e. song or tdk)

i think you should be ok with either tdk or sony,
    good luck with whatever you decide on though!

7. Willmatic

Willmatic Guest

I've used both and they've all worked well. I tend to buy TDK more though because they're usually on sale in my area.

8. kinza

kinza Regular member

Has anyone bought any of these from CompUsa or Best Buy? If you have please tell me the media ID. Thanks!!

9. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Sony often rebrands disks, so you never know for sure what you're going to get from them. It won't necessarily be bad media, but I like to know what I'm getting before I buy blank media, which is why I don't buy sony disks. From what I can tell TDK has lately been selling only one brand of disk in its latest batches, media ID TTG02. This for me and for everyone I've heard comment on it is very reliable media. I've bought media from compusa before, it's been a while and since I only buy media when I feel I can be relatively sure of what I'm getting, I've never had to deal with their return policy. I personally haven't bought the TDK 4x media, only the 8x, but if memory serves me, every post here and on other forums regarding that media is that it is also TTG02 and perfectly reliable. I can't remember if any of those people bought it from compusa, but I know they bought it from varied locations, which makes me think that all the new tdk meida out there is uniformly TTG02.

10. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I bought 2 25 pks. o fTDK about a month ago from Best Buy and they wouldn't even begin to burn, which I've never had happen before. I added TDK to my growin glist of brands to avoid. Sony -r's have worked good for me and they are sony discs.

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

jay33, it would be helpful if you could list the media ID of the disks you tried unsuccessfully to burn, and the burner that failed to burn them, since your experience doens't seem to be the norm.

12. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Balaam:
    The 4X TDK DVD-R ID is TTG01 and is as reliable or even more than the 8X TTG02

13. razor2003

razor2003 Guest

Im using TDK on my Sony dvp-NS300 player and it works flawlessly.

dvd + R burned at 2.4 , 4x

14. pieman

pieman Regular member

This is an easy one to settle.Taiyo Yuden.TDK discs are average and sony use too many differant dyes from differant manufacturers.Consistancy is the name of the game.Having tried over twenty brands of discs, and burnt over 1500 nothing gets close to a ty

15. kinza

kinza Regular member

There is too much difference of opinion here. I can't decide, and don't want to waste money. I was going to get TY but why get it if other media is better for me? I am now going to wait for the samples from rima.com. There are constant sales on DVDR's in stores now so no problem if I miss the offer. Thanks for everyones help!!

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't think you can go wrong with branded Taiyo Yuden media. On another note I bought a 10 pk of Sony dvd+rw's (media code phillips 041) and they have performed flawlessly.

17. modchipa

modchipa Member

It all depends on your Burner.

18. pieman

pieman Regular member

whats the point in having a burner that is fussy on discs??and how can any media be 'better' for you than ty??Read the forums...no one complains about ty but theres an awful lot of bad press of 'ritek' based discs.However, the choice is yours!

19. pieman

pieman Regular member

by the way....the odd sample disc wont sway your decision here.Its CONSISTANCY that counts here.Over 1000 tys burnt,two coasters and that was my fault.Try getting that ratio with other brands!!

20. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

.......I think "modchipa" is on the right track. Every burner and stand alone dvd player is different. Buy only disks on sale and just start trying 25 packs till you find which one works for you. I've had great luck with Sony, TDK and verbatium.........