1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TDK vs TDK

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Fanny_Fan, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Fanny_Fan

Fanny_Fan Member

Hello all,
    I have just recently joined the ranks of DVD burning and learnt that there are two types of TDK + - blank discs. Dick smith, big w etc sell spools of 25 blank dvds for around $34 or spools of 50 for $35. The 50 spool dvds are rubbish and muck up the 25 spool are far superior and play perfectly. When I checked my burners recommendations TDK was one of the disc recommended. When I asked a Dick Smith about this the assistant told me they are both the same. Then why the price difference? I made around 20 new coasters and have learnt my lesson in buying cheap!!!

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey fanny_fan,probably 2 different manufacturers between + and - spools. The same can apply between the 25 and 50 pack spindles. Tdk uses different manufacturers in their media sales. This is true with most brands of media. Here is a free handy program to download: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

This tool will tell you which manufacturer made those tdk's that you bought.You can use this site to give you some info on that manufacturer code: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I believe ty youdin makes some of their media.I haven't tried any tdk's yet but waiting for a sale on them.

A quick way I can tell on store media is look for Made In Japan on the label.Japan makes the finest media and it probably where those 25 spool pack was made,that is why it is better. If it doesn't say made in japan,then I usually avoid it.Same applies to fuji and maxell.

Most store salesmen don't know crap about who made those discs. They will tell you anything just to sell them.

I don't know where you are located at,but I usually find great sales on great quality media at bestbuy,staples,walgreens,office depot,and office max. Somebody always has some good media on sale for $10 a 25 pack and $20 for 50 discs. I keep missing the tdk sales because of snow and ice storms.When I do find them on sale,I will look for that made in Japan on the label, Later

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  3. Fanny_Fan

Fanny_Fan Member

thanks saugmon,
    i downloaded that identifier and found one was ricoh and one was tdk. How confusing is this to the poor consumer.
    I am in Australia and it seems i'll stick to the ones made by ricoh which work out to being a little over $1 each pretty good bargain when your not wasting them. Thanks heaps for your advice.

4. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

generally it depends on you burner as far as what discs work. i pay $25 for 50 Alphatek discs from JB HIFI in perth with no probs, pay $40 for 50 TY from computer shop and 25 stuff up. The tdks are also available from harvey norman for a couple of dollars more but they are the ricoh ones.
    Shop around and once you find a disc that works, stick with it at all costs

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

*moved from dvd-r newbies*

6. rafigold

rafigold Regular member