1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Technical question about forced game update

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bhetrick, May 31, 2007.

1. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

So I was talking with a friend last night about the whole forced MS Live/game disc update deal. He hasn't connected Live for over a month in fear of being banned. He's got a Hitachi 78.

I told him one way or the other they'll get him... either through Live or through a disc update. Later I got to thinking that if it's on a disc why not just remove it before playing the game.

So today I got some pics to show what I'm talking about. I've opened a 360 iso and you can see a sys update folder:

[​IMG]

And inside the folder:
    [​IMG]

So my question is has anyone tried either deleting the folder or tried replacing the file with a dummy file?

If not I'll try both. What program can I use to make dummy files? Also, I'll need a new game which asks to update. I've applied the spring update. Does anyone know if Forza 2 or Shadowrun asks to update, even after you've already updated with the spring patch?

If not, I know in June and July there are alot of games being released. So one of them has to have an included update.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

well i never really thought about altering the game really. But the update on the game will happen for most games. And it has not been proven that it will have any effect on you getting banned. I always do the game updates myself so i can say it has no effect on if your getting banned or not. If you stay off live then you have no need to update anyway.

So your choices are
    1. play on live and accept the game and console updates
    2. do not play on live and do not worry about any updates.

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I'm not really worried about the whole getting banned or not deal. Right now I guess I'm just wondering if it can be done without rendering the game unplayable.

And I've checked and all of the games I have include the update folder. But these don't effect me as I have the latest updates. I'd imagine these would effect someone who hasn't played a newer game.

What I need is a new release with a new update.

4. dakillz

dakillz Guest

the only reason to avoid updating is to stop microsoft banning you from live, but as soon as you connect to live it will say you need the latest update to connect, and if you refuse to update it will just disconnect you

5. REAM

REAM Guest

that what 1.5 users on the psp did. they would go into the iso and remove the update so they could play games without upgrading and loosing iso playback....

BUT OE FW sorted that out :D

6. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

Forza 2 asks you to update.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

Xbox 1 games had the same thing on them, stiff like dashboard updates and such. Now those i know you could remove to shrink the ISO size down and the game would still play just fine. If you have the time give it a shot and let us know how it works out.

P.S. i can't wait to get some time tonight or this weekend to play Forza 2 Collectors Edition.

8. howyol

howyol Member

how should i go about games that require updates? keeping in mind that i cant download them. is creating dummy files thus the only option left?how the hell does one do that? do dummy files influence gameplay?

9. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If there's a necessary update for a game, it'll be included on the game disc. When the disc is played for the first time, it'll ask you to update before you can play the game.

10. howyol

howyol Member

dude! i dont wanna get banned.so i guess i cant update via cd.

11. mjfouline

mjfouline Guest

if im rihgt from what im reading its not going to mattter if you put a dummy update in that faolder i your already updated your spring update.

all that update is the dash board update.
    its not the game update.

game updates are on xbox live that why if you play with your ethernet cable unpluged it doesn't ask you to update but if its in it will

all your goin to do is brick your 360 if your do that.

if you put that disc in a xbox 360 that doesn't have the spring update it will just erase the dash and then update with the dummy file whick has nothing on it so.

just dont waste your time and a dvd+r DL

12. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

They wouldn't have put the spring update on a game disc (atleast not yet). MS was still tweaking the update right up until they released it. In order for the update to be on a disc the manufacturers would have to had that update months in advance.

13. howyol

howyol Member

what i am really concerned about is wether there is a solution to this dash update problem, or is the only alternative removing the mod chip and using original games!

14. mjfouline

mjfouline Guest

sry to flame your but.... thats spoken like a true newbie.

havn'e your read that the ixtreme firmware came out.

15. howyol

howyol Member

i have a hitachi drive! and by using ixtreme firmware there are chances of gettin banned

16. howyol

howyol Member

does a mod chip exist in the xbox 360 or is it only a software?

17. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

A mod chip does exist but it uses the same principle as the software mod and does not allow unsigned code, only copied games.