1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Extreme Edition)

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by nqq, Aug 31, 2003.

1. nqq

nqq Member

Has anyone watched the high definition version on the T2: Extreme Edition dvd with the recommended PC requirments? How does it look? Is it noticably better than standard dvd quality?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Wrong forum - what has it got to do with DVD Hardware? This is for the off topic forum!

3. nqq

nqq Member

The reason I posted in this forum was because the high definition version requires special hardware and software.

4. nqq

nqq Member

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Jesus thats some high spec disc! I think i leave it to my Marantz theatre and 60" projector to try it rather than my 2.53GHz comp

6. nqq

nqq Member

I've found some more websites about it.

This site says it is impossible for a DVD to hold HD video: http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/HDDVDTutorial.shtml

This site says Windows Media 9 solved data compression issues: http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-21176889-0.html

This site says the HD DVD is more resistant to tampering and piracy: http://www.iht.com/articles/95700.html

This site says it will only play with Region 1 players:
    http://www.totaldvd.net/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=3940

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

HD DVD is something for the future. Who knows what form it will end up taking, a blue laser, a red one, enevitably it means upgrading our systems to cope with it.

The future i feel for HD DVD is more than likely the new blue laser systems. These systems can hold up to 12 times more data on a similar disc to a DVD-R (though they are cartridges). With Sony's new blue laser system, data transfer rates of 76MB a second may not be too far away! Couple this with discs that will be able to handle 50GB by 2005 and 100GB a few years later, the oportunities are amazing. With a system like this, i would be able to utilise my 60" 1280x1024 projector. However, backward compatibility is an issue i would be worried about. Blue laser systems cannot read red laser (current DVD) systems. That would mean having a system that contained both red and blue lasers.

There already is a blue laser system available for recording on to called Blu Ray. It retails for around $3000 i think, but is pretty useless to have since nothing really plays it and normal DVD's are compressed before putting on to disc anyway. If you were to take a normal DVD, before it is compressed, you will find it to be a lot lot more than 8GB or whatever it is. Lets hope in the next 5 years, a system is brought out without as much compression on it. We might even begin to see LPCM as the stereo sound track and THX 2GB sound files!

8. nqq

nqq Member

If this Terminator 2 DVD can hold HD video, why do we need another format? I've read that if you have a big screen HD monitor or projector you can plug your PC into it so you don't have to watch it on a regular small monitor.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats true about plugging a projector into the computer using the VGA, i can do it.

The HD DVD is not really HD DVD on the terminator disc. It is software enforced rather than hardware. Basically it is a work around!

10. nqq

nqq Member

I've bought the DVD. When I play it on my 2.4ghz PC it lowers the framerate down to 14fps. I wondered if copying it onto my harddrive and playing back the image file would help any. It did. When I play it from my harddrive it plays smoothly except for the beginning of a few chapters the screen goes black for a few seconds.

I assume this works because my harddrive can be read faster than a dvd-rom. But why would having a 3ghz allow the dvd-rom to read faster?

What are the benefits of HD being hardware enforced rather than software? Is having a high-end pc with microsoft software the only real drawback? Why shouldn't future dvd standalone players adopt this 'work around'?

On my 19" 1600x1200 monitor I can really notice more clarity in the HD version.

11. nqq

nqq Member

Are my last questions too techincal to get simple answers?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003