1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

testcases where memorex is no good

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by overcast, Apr 25, 2004.

1. overcast

overcast Member

Ive been converting xvids to memorex 4x dvd-r for a week or so only to discover that they will not play on most dvd players. This could be because their are no menus on the disks, Im not sure. I just know its frustrating to find that my movies burned w/ a sony burner will not play on my sony dvd player or playstation. Ironic, is it not? Has any one sucessfully burned an xvid/divx to dvd and played it on a sony playstation? If so, what brand media did u use and/or what method is required to burn it properly. Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated!

2. overcast

overcast Member

I apologize if i didnt post porperly. Out of frustration, I posted without reading the sticky first.

3. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

[bold]MainConcept MPEG Encoder
    TMPGEnc DVD Author
    DVD2One (if needed)
    Nero 6 Ultra[/bold]

MainConcept to encode to a dvd compliant MPEG2 file.

TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert to VOb format [sort menu + chapter points]*

DVD2One only if the project is over 4:36Gb

Nero 6 Ultra to burn all created VOB/BUP/IFO files in VIDEO_TS folder (DVD-Video mode)

* If project is under 4:36GB you can actually burn with TMPGEnc DVD Author as it has a write function

4. overcast

overcast Member

thx! will give them a shot!

-TMPGEnc
    -IFOedit
    -Nero 6 ultra

Compared to that combination, do u find your results to be better quality/compatibility, easier to use, less time consuming, or just personal preference?

5. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

A lot less time consuming ; )

6. RofSilk

RofSilk Member

I am a new user and have been reading this forum for about a month now. I have a Sony DRU18A (+/- RW) and been using Memorex DVD-R as well. I find the Memorex tends to fail in the burning process a lot. I bought a 6 pack that includes 3-RW and the RW seems to work. Sometimes once, others burn/erase/burn again=sucess. I wont be buying any more Memorex for DVD.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hello overcast, Welcome to our forum,

Memorex is a good example, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, stutters, pixelats, partially jams, may be rejected and lest we forget, our old standby, giving you the old just refuses to be recognized routine :-(

Besides "Freezing", "skips" and pixelations, many times you’ll get a “cyclic redundancy error” or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won’t accept your “cheap” media :-(

Inexpensive media or even average media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely Big-th way !

2. A good grade media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Branded Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are sometimes a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Prices online from Meritline.com have gotten Ritek G04 down below a dollar a disc -
    Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap or even average discs and good copies from 3 Branded Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then will you say are too expensive ? The 3 “Cheapo’s with no movie backup OR , the 3 recommended discs with a perfect backup on each disc ?

Bear in mind, Memorex, Fuji, Sony, TDK, Orange Pack and others are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets, Data and your text backups and archives, they just don’t work well for DVD backups.
    Remember, for DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win, the majority of people lose, varying amounts but, they still lose :-(

Let's try the right media for the job - just buy a 5 pack of what we recommend that will settle it once and for all - Don’t cheat though, buy the EXACT media we recommended -

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty, it surely cannot hurt.

cheers,

Pete

8. michigan

michigan Guest

Ok everyone repete (not Pete) after me I will not buy cheap media because it will cost me a lot of money (unless you are short on coasters, if you are I'll bet there are alot of them around here we could send to you to get them out of our houses) and give cheap media will give me a very large headache. Ritek G04 and Verbatim are GOOD most others are BAD.

9. overcast

overcast Member

just to clarify something. I am 5/5 w/ memorex. I was just having problems w/ them being compatible on my ps2. But I promise, Verbatim will prob be my next purchase.Thx for the advice guys!

10. michigan

michigan Guest

I'm glad that the memorex are working for you. You probably got one of their better batches, but the next one you don't know wheree it will come from so stick with the good media like you are saying.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It's sooo nice when they see the moral of the story :p)

"P"

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's the thing with Memorex, sometimes they use quality and other times they use junk. You never know what you're going to get!

When I buy Ritek, I know I'm getting Ritek. I like peace of mind :)

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

An update from a mutual friend, Don't trust Datasafe G04’s too far -

14. overcast

overcast Member

so wheres a good priced site in the states to order media? Any of you guys/gals have a preference for one w/ reliability and prompt service?

15. michigan

michigan Guest

www.meritline.com free shipping, very good company, don't forget to get the Ritek G-04's not the G-03's

16. mrman

mrman Regular member

I almost always use junk media and i have never gotten a single coaster using my LG GSA 4040B A303. Iv burned 50 memorex with cmc media code no coaster and no problems with playback.
    Also have used other unknown stuff like pine and mitsumi.

17. michigan

michigan Guest

Your luck with cheap media is awesome. I will still stick to a recomend the high quality media "Branded" Ritek G04's and Verbatim

18. THEZAMMAN

THEZAMMAN Member

sometimes i think all you guys here work for ritek.lol i burned like 25 memorex dvd-r and no coasters! anyway im going to try it just because its cheaper online than memorex at best buy.

but are they compatable with tdk burners? does the finish matter? just curious :)

19. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I burnd around 100 dvd+r of memorex and no coaster's but.... I checked at meritline's webb site and the Ritek's are hell of alot cheaper than memorex so I give them a try.

Still.. Memorex were very good to me.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Perhaps another reason to consider our recommended discs -

A time thing ?
    One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. Points of fact, inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down" in time. I have had 25 to 30 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be totally sure that there are no problems. "In olden times," before I knew any better, the Maxell and TDK discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what I used to use before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim, it is the cheap stuff that I have been experiencing trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had been using refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Jam" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek s, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in almost 2 years. I still have some backups done on the cheap stuff and as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? All of the backups from "02" and "03", done on the "good Stuff" work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

UPDATE: This has been posted in the past but I only came onto this study as of 04/27/04 to support my theory.
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

Pete