1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing PS3 LAN Bandwidth?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by jazee, Dec 21, 2009.

1. jazee

jazee Member

Just started experimenting with PS3MediaServer, Tversity and Netflix. Right away, as expected I could not stream 1080P over my 54g network. Signal strength is 52%. So I installed powerline Ethernet. I can now stream 720p reliably, and 1080p is almost-reliable. Depending on source, it can get jerky. I couldn't stream a Netflix HD movie with 54g at 52%, now I can with powerline. I still think I'm going to need more horsepower though such as Wireless-N.

I want to find out exactly how much faster my powerline is than my 54g. You can go to speedtest.net but that is only testing the bandwidth between the PS3 and a host on the Internet so it is limited by Internet connection speed (and results can be all over the map - with same host, one test got 10mbit/s and the same test 3 min later got 20mbit/s!)

I could do a file copy between a notebook connected to the powerline and another PC and then the same copy using 54g but that's just going to give me a general indication. Seems there must be some utility to run on Windows that tests the bandwidth to a computer on the network?

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. KillerBug

KillerBug Regular member

You could setup a HTTP or FTP server on a laptop, then use the ps3 browser to download a big file from the server...most good server softwares will tell you the speed of this transfer.