1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks, but........

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by kenkell, Feb 28, 2005.

1. kenkell

kenkell Member

I just want to say thanks for this site and the people who run it and to the many that give advice! It's helped me and educated me a lot! The only problem I hate is that after visiting and closing out of this site, I get a stupid pop up on my screen about 85% of the time about clicking to see if my "computer has spyware on it"! Obviously, it's spyware or adware and it's a pain in the ass to see this after leaving this site most every time! This never happens on any other website I visit. I can't be the only one experiencing this, so what's the deal? I've did some trial and error runs with my Spybot before and after visiting this site and it finds some crap from "Fastclick" after leaving Afterdawn's website. What's going on here? Of course, I'd be leary to download anything from this site because of it!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Umh, I take it you haven't ever heard of the less intrusive pops, "pop-unders" that spawn a new window that gets opened behind your current browser window (as opposed to on top of it like popups do). We use popunders to fund our site and you'll only ever see max. one popunder per 24h period.

Now, I know some people call such ads intrusive and pain-in-the-ass, but I'm still failing to see the user who sends us a check for $x,xxx.xx each month to pay for the server fees...

And we don't promote nor use anything that even remotely relates to spyware or adware. The indication some spyware blocker tools give about FastClick is about their cookies. And if you know anything about web, you can tell that cookies don't have anything to do with adware or spyware software -- in this case, they simply tell the ad server that "I've seen one pop already, don't show me one for next 24 hours" (==if you actually be paranoid and kill that cookie, you're bound to see one pop next time you open a page on our site, whether its been 24 hours or 30 seconds since your last page load).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  3. kenkell

kenkell Member

I thank you for taking the time to explain what is going on! You told me exactly what I needed to know! And NO, I don't know much about the web or what goes on with pop-unders and all the rest of that crap. I should be more educated and once again, you and your site have educated me about this small problem! I assume you do know more, you are the webmaster! As much as I hate the pop-up, I'll still be signing in for all the valuble info and knowlegebale staff and members! I meant no harm!:)

4. kenkell

kenkell Member

.....And if your yet to see a member that would send a check to help fund this site, let me be the first! With all the info, I've obtained, I'd gladly send you a little something to show some appreciation.

5. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ok, we're cool then :) And sorry for being slightly harsh with my reply, I'm sorta tired of "fighting" against people telling us how evil it is that we even show ads on our site :)

And nope, we don't have any near-future plans to allow users to donate to us or anything -- we make our money out of advertisements. Its not much, but still something and are able to maintain the site and pay the server fees each month and we feel that the best "donation" our users can give us is for them to endorse our site to other people via word-of-mouth, via their personal websites, via other discussion forums and obviously visiting our site and supporting our advertisers by purchasing products from them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  6. kenkell

kenkell Member

Apoligy accepted! Well then, I'm giving my "donation" daily as I visit your site! I've only been a member for a month or two and have told at least 5 people (newbies now)whom regularly visit your site as I do, so your membership and "donations" are hopefully growing! I've personally bought items from your advertisers too. You had a spot on the site for member feedback, so I gave it! I hope there was no harm done in voicing my opinions! My friends and I are all very thankful for the free info we get! It's nice to know I'm doing my share too! Keep up the good work.