1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks to all who have posted here

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by ojisan, Apr 3, 2007.

1. ojisan

ojisan Member

I am a newbie on this site. Started down the road on backing up my precious copy of Pursuit...since my kids are so hard on DVDs...

Thought I would share my experience...did this all last night and this morning

1) started with just DVD Shrink 3.2. I have a legal copy of Nero as well. DVD shrink was unable to read the DVD and gave an error.

2) downloaded Decypter. program didn't seem to do anything, so kept reading through this forum

3) found Image Burn and tried that, but that didn't seem to do the trick

4) found Ripit4me and ran that. The program successfully "ripped" the DVD.

5) Ran DVD shrink, but still got an error...I tried the files in my root C directory and files in the ripit4me program directory. both failed.

6) found FixVTS 1.6 and ran that on the files generated in my root C: directory.

7) Ran DVD shrink again, and tried the files in the "fixvts happyness" directory, but that failed. Went to bed

8) woke up this morning and tried it again, but pointed to the root C: directory again, and the program successfully readin the movie.

9) burned it to the DVD after the movie was read...and I have a working movie. even used some old R/W DVD media.

Testing the movie out now, but all chapters start, so now just letting the movie go and will see what happens.

Did this all on a laptop (T40 series IBM thinkpad with a DVD burner)

The whole process probably took about 7 hours from step 1 to step 9.

I am not sure if FixVTS was the key or not, but now that I am done withit, I am going to delete the mountains of data left on my hard drive. I think there is at least eight gigs worth of data from this effort.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What version of Ripit4Me do you have?
    i ask this because if you are using the latest, it has FixVts incorperated in it already, you might be using an older version.
    you can go here and get the newest version
    http://my.afterdawn.com/janrocks/

BTW when doing a full movie backup using FixVTS or VOBBlanker is the key to having the backup run thru a transcoder(shrink) fine.
    i would advise running all of your dvds thru either one before using shrink.

Here is a very easy guide that uses DVDFab(free)+FixVTS+dvdShrink+IMGburn you can do all the new dvds this way and shouldn't have a problem.
    http://webpages.charter.net/bacitup/TheGuides/Back up DVD w fab,vixvts,shrink,imageburn.pdf

Plus it is always good to have more than one way to backup dvds.