1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Cowgurl, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Cowgurl

Cowgurl Member

Just wanted to say Thanks to all the information posted on this site. Have muddled through the long post Used DVD Shrink-Now How to Burn sticky, and last night successfully backed up my first DVD using Shrink and Decryptor. Following Pete's guide to the letter.

In the post some people had mentioned that Decryptor was not the best way to actually burn the DVD. If you could be so kind, could someone explain further on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Cowgirl

2. Cowgurl

Cowgurl Member

Ooops, one more question. We only have a DVD Burner and a CDrom in this computer we used. The instructions say to: "Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner’s drive". Since we need the burner to extract from, we can't put a blank in until the Shrink has processed the movie. We got some sort of error once shrink was done, but told it to Retry, and in began burning once we put in the blank DVD. Is there something else we should have done?

Thanks again.
    Cowgirl

3. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Cowgurl
    Most of us have personal favourites for backing up our movies. Depending on the successes or failures has determined our hardware and software choices
    For me I "rip" the movie to my hard drive using DVD Decryptor as an ISO file. I then have DVD Shrink do its magic and save the file as an ISO file. I then burn using DVD Decryptor. I know that Shrink can "rip" most movies. I have had excellent results this way and do not see a need to change at this point in time.
    I "rip" to an ISO file to lessen the chance of error and missing files. I save Shrink's output to an ISO file again to lessen the errors to burn with Nero or Record Now.
    As I said earlier - to each their own through trial and error.
    I hope this helps

4. xbadboy2

xbadboy2 Regular member

Even if you have a DVD-ROM your still going to have to wait for the program to rip/extract to the computer. I only have a DVD burner and a ROM as well you do not have to go out and get a DVD-ROM if you don't want to. If you get a ROM its just going to make it so your not using your burner all the time it might make your burner last longer doing half the work your ROM will be doing the extract to the computer. Your going to find out that works for some people will not work for you. I have Platinum/clonedvd2/shrink/decrypter/anydvd your really not going to notice anything to tell you the truth when I put the movies on my friends 52 inch TV you cant tell the diff. Like chthomson said everyone has there personal favorites for backing up our movies. A lot like to trash other software because 1 it cost money 2 because they have had problems with it you going to have to see what works with your computer and you the best. Good luck burning.