1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanx, My 2 cents

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by SLaTheR, May 2, 2005.

1. SLaTheR

SLaTheR Regular member

Excellent

I have just downloaded and run DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. This combo is great. Getting very high quality single disk backups. Just wanted to let you know the tutorial at top of this forum got me started with ease, now I am ready to start playing around a little. LOL

Just a few commants, DVD Shrink is incredibly slow compared to the 321 products I have been using. Xpress does the same job (albeit with less quality) in about a third of the time. Only real problem with express is that my copy has stopped working all of a sudden, though my DVD X copy gold still works very well. Most movies aren't worth 2 disks to back up though.

Just a few questions:

1) Being that Shrink is apparently no longer supported, will the updates to Decripter be able to handle the new encryption formats?

2)Does the use of Deep Analysis and error compensation have an effect on decode speed, or just on analyze speed?

3) Can all special features be removed from the original and still allow for the disk to be functional. (What has to remain)?

4) The media I have been using is not on your list, I use Memorex 1x-8x discs and have never had a problem with making coasters, what seperates the media you have listed from the standard stuff in the department stores?

Well that's it for now, I am very glad to have found this site and will probably be coming here often. Looks like about a month worth of reading just to get up to speed.

Again thanx for the tips I have picked up so far.

2. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

1) Decrypter currently gets updated for new copy protections
    2) Deep analysis does make the encoding take longer
    3) Shrink has a re-author function to strip extra audio, subtitles, or extra video. After you keep what you want Shrink will make dvd compliant files for you to burn
    4) Memorex is a very unpredictable media, it's made by several different manufactures, most stay away from this media. Several department store media is fine, TDK, Maxell, Verbatim.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Deep analysis does make the backup process a little longer(30 min avg), but once it is completed the data is stored and if you decide to make another backup there is no need to do it again. As for error compensation, the more you compress, the longer that will take. (especially with max sharpness and smoothness).

Even though it may take longer to backup using these options, the end result is well worth the wait.(especially if you are using a lot of compression) A way to avoid this without having to compromise on quality, is to backup the [bold]main title only[/bold] and if needed only keep one soundtrack in re-author mode like suggested. You may still need to use the deep analization and error comp., but it will still take even less time than if you backup the entire disc.

Take Ppower's advice on memorex, this is unpredictable media. A good tip when it comes to looking for media is to go with any brand that says made in japan.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  4. SLaTheR

SLaTheR Regular member

Thanks again.

I will definately pay more attention to my media from now on. As for the time it takes to burn, I am more than willing to do the waiting, the end product of these programs is well worth it. Looks like time to uninstall my 321 stuff.

I have also bumped into the new encryption mentioned on this forum on a new disc I was trying to backup tonight. Luckily I am one of the ones who can run AnyDVD with Shrink and Decripter without any problems. This is one great combination of programs.