1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

that "ring" on playing side of disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by fishbulb, Nov 21, 2004.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i just burned the movie office space onto a dvd-r disc and it didn't need any compression. on the playing side of dvd there was a narrow ring that all the way around the disc. is this just the space leftover from the burn since there was no compression or did i do something wrong?
    also, i guess i don't need dvd shrink when the movie fits on the 4.7 blank. but i thought i used it for something that time. do i just need to use decrypter?

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

When you burn data onto a DVD, burning stops when there's nothing more to burn. So you'll see two different patterns on the disc, and the 'ring' is just probably the unused part of the DVD.
    Also, you may use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter for your burn jobs as you like, so long as they work.

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

As already suggested, that 'ring' is unused space.

Better to have a slight 'ring', as some players do struggle playing the outer circumferences of discs.

The key value to rembember is 4.36Gb, with your compression programs, it is better to keep you 'final' VIDEO_TS folder BELOW this value.
    Anything between 4Gb and 4.3Gb should provide you with enough clearance to eliminate any 'bad' reading problems due to circumference limitations of your player............................

4. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Good advice, that should tactle much of what is known as the 'media' problem.

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

All down to how the manufacturers market their media.

They all say it is 4.7Gb, but in 'real money' it is only approx 4.36Gb - 4.37Gb, due to the actual 'bytes' per megabyte ratio..............