1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That same old question

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by lyte, Apr 20, 2005.

1. lyte

lyte Member

I recently obtained a gamecube from a relative and I have been reading threads on this forum in an attempt to discover for myself the best way to play backups of NGC games. The most discussed way, I found, is to purchase the BBA and PSO. This was looking promising until the issue of lag came into play. Is it really that bad or is it able to be dealt with? I also have seen talk about the mod chip (yes, I can solder), Viper GC. I have not been able to find any information pertaining to what I would have to do after installing it physically into the gamecube. If someone could politely shed some light to the uninformed, I would greatly appreciate it so I can make the right decision as to which direction I should be heading in. Thanks.

2. lyte

lyte Member

I guess my question in all reality is once I finish soldering the Viper in, what comes next? Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I was unable to find any such information.

3. koteshi

koteshi Regular member

OK, after soldering you have to program your chip with a BIOS. I recommend the Cobra Bios which you can download at http://www.koteshi.de/index2.html . You do this via a small programmer interface. This has to be connected with a parallel cable. I ordered my chip at divineo and there was a installation manual included.

All together the whole mod-thing will cost you 20-30 minutes.

4. DonGio

DonGio Member

After your Viper is properly installed, you want to download a copy of the Cobra Bios V1.1. Check the Gamecube download section of maxconsole.com you should be able to find it in there (or just look for the Cobra Bios V1.1 thread).
    Load the bios onto your Viper with the included serial adapter.
    If you want to rip your own games you will still need a BBA to stream the data over to the computer so you can then burn the ISO to DVDR (i believe a riptool is included with the cobra bios).
    Yes ISOs can be obtained through other means...that won't be discussed here
    Some will tell you to tweak your laser to get media to work. Best bet though is it insure your using a good burner and then just test out different media to see what works for you (not all GCs are created equal)

5. lyte

lyte Member

Thank you for the information guys. I have a few more questions if you would be so kind as to answer them. After I install the BIOS via parallel, do I backup my games to mini DVD-R? And if so, just burn one, pop it into the NGC, and it will play?..theoretically?

6. Vedas830

Vedas830 Guest

You would then use a Rip tool and the BBA to Stream it to your PC
    Then I use Nero to burn by Right Clicking on the Game .iso and click open with Nero next click the burn tab and check Finalize disc then burn it
    The hardest part is finding Media that your GC will play
    I had to do a Laser Tweak to get mine to work with any Media
    Factory setting was 191 Ohms its now at 230 ohms and will play my backups and it was very simple to do
    Go to the Mod That Cube thread and Downlaod brakken's Tutorial it will give you all the info you will need
    Enjoy
    :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  7. lyte

lyte Member

thanks for the information. i do have one question. you stated that i would need the BBA but i thought the streaming could be done via the parallel cable from the Viper to the PC?

8. DonGio

DonGio Member

Lyte: the programmer cable for viper is only for flashing the bios
    So you still need the BBA if you are ripping the games yourself.

9. lyte

lyte Member

Ok! thanks for clearing that up for me and thanks to all who took the time to answer my questions.