1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Anti-RIAA board!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Toiletman, Jul 25, 2003.

1. enog29

enog29 Member

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

@enog: Nice signature but I didn't understand what you are saying:
    @tinfoil: I read the post and understand it, I was just joking. Everyone can sell his music at whatever price he wants, it's now easy to sell CDs via the internet at whatever price you want.

@Praetor: I'll prefer a Heineken please. Thanks!

3. tinfoil

tinfoil Member

#afonic:

You've said a mouthfull. The net has become somewhat of an equalizer for musicians. With places like CDBaby, they can make their own price and sell quality music without so many levels of middlemen.

4. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

No beers for me please.

Anyway, who is up for some ActivisM?

P.S. Revolutions is good. Pretty damn ****ing awesome. I have seen it twice already in the cinema.

5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

You're too young for beer. :p

6. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Yep. :p

Anyway, the RIAA seems to be slowing down a bit. I think they're gonna do something big, unnecessary and annoying in the next few weeks. Therefore, prepared to be shocked at how much I can swear/censor in this thread.

7. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Should we make it an "adults only" thread?

8. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

No. We need to preach to everyone!! Plus, if you did do that, I wouldn't be able to post.

Seems the RIAA have gone quiet for too long lol.

9. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

I am glad I live in Canada. We have no fear of the RIAA
    In 1998 the Copyright Act in Canada was changed to allowed consumers to make copies of music works legally. The following is a quote from the Copyright Act
    80. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the act of reproducing all or any substantial part of
    (a) a musical work embodied in a sound recording,
    (b) a performer's performance of a musical work embodied in a sound recording, or
    (c) a sound recording in which a musical work, or a performer's performance of a musical work, is embodied
    onto an audio recording medium for the private use of the person who makes the copy does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the musical work, the performer's performance or the sound recording.
    With this change came a levy (tax?) on recordable medium in 2000. The current levy on CD-Rs is 21ยข each. There is a proposal to increase the levy and to expand the mediums the levy applies to including MP3 storage. For further details see http://neil.eton.ca/copylevy.shtml.
    To me the long and short of this issue in Canada I can make copies of any musical work for my personal use legally without fear of penalty.

10. tinfoil

tinfoil Member

Just don't share those copies with anyone else, that bit is illegal for us Canucks.

11. UnGod

UnGod Guest

wow and all this time I thought canada sucked jk

12. Praetor

13. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

It is the Canadian way - if you can't stop it - tax it Look at cigarettes and alcohol. Next is recreational pharmaceuticals.
    Only in Canada Eh!!!!

14. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Happy christmas to you all!!

*looks up at sky. Doesn't seem to be a lot of snow.....* *cries*

Anyway, Best Buy and FutureShop etc. are fighting that levy. Are you Canadians joining them?

15. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Why should I fight? As long as the recording industry applies the levy I can make personal copies of music without fear of a lawsuit. By charging a levy/tax they agree that I legally can make copies of music. No RIAA worries in Canada.

16. gruel

gruel Member

RIAA never heard of em,
    who are they, what are they, sounds like they need a good kickin

17. Praetor

Because, they are charging you money shit they assume you are doing -- now if you are pirating music then -smack! That's your own business but for people that use cds exclusively for data archival for instance -- they have to pay the levee too and they arent pirating music.

'sides its friggen ridicioulus that our own government assumes that all cds are going to be put to use by music pirates and charge people tax. What's next, charging more gas tax because people might be using cars to 'run drugs' or something? Geez, Canada's a nice place and all and i love her but f!ck, sometimes the government is just so stupid and beaurcraitcal

18. UnGod

UnGod Guest

how exactly can we fight that. Talk to your congress man? lol.

19. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Praetor
    [quote}'sides its friggen ridicioulus that our own government assumes that all cds are going to be put to use by music pirates and charge people tax.[/quote}]
    The Copyright Board told the CPCC who wanted to almost triple the levy on blank cdrs that they did not have enough evidence to support their position on how much music copying existed. The 97 page report which I read on Saturday is quite detailed on how the Board arrived at its decision. The CPCC would like section 80 of the Copyright act to be applied in its narrowest terms. The Copyright Board said that the Government when they enacted the new Copyright Act was not limiting how or where people obtained their music to copy. Before this new copyright act come into existance it was illegal to make copies of musical works without the copyright owners permission. The new copyright act makes it much easier to obtain permission from the copyright holder if need be. It is a tough job to balance the practice of the people with the owners of the copyright when it comes to music. Laws are never fair to all. This one I think is a fair compromise.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

chthomson - try this one on for size:

www.boycott-riaa.com/article/9534_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gun Control - The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, strangled with her pantyhose is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to the police how her attacker recieved that fatal bullet wound.[/small]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003