1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best antivirus 2013 for PC

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by iugreen, Dec 2, 2013.

1. iugreen

iugreen Newbie

The best Anti-Virus for Windows XP [2013]

AV-TEST conducted a new series of tests to determine the best anti-virus currently available for Windows XP which will be soon discontinued. The independent IT-Security institute tested 25 anti-virus software.

[​IMG]

As you can see, Microsoft’s very own Security Essentials 4.3 is still considered as a baseline. Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 provides the best security to Windows XP computers, followed by F-Secure Internet Security, Bitdefender Internet Security 2014, and Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security 2014.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what about for vista, win7, win8 & win8.1?

3. aldan

aldan Active member

well they got one thing right.ms security essentials is definitely baseline alright.about as base as it gets.avast and bitdefender are my picks.microsoft themselves cant in all good conscience recommend mse.

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

I am partial to Avast and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. They have been good for me. Plus a good backup now and then.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

yep,and its worth the money for malwarebytes pro with realtime scanning.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

It seems that The best AV for XP will soon be Win 7 or win 8..

Bye Bye XP, old friend.. [​IMG]

7. aldan

aldan Active member

sniff

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

SNIFFFFFFF.....SNIFFFFFF

*raises glass of Jack Daniels*

Will miss ya XP!!

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Are you using Avast 9? I have mine set on Hardened Mode, Aggressive and love it.
    Checked it out on 26 Zeroday malwares monday and it it caught all but 4 which were Trojans in a RAR file. They downloaded but, when I opened them they went *Poof* gone. :)

10. aldan

aldan Active member

oh yes.i havent gotten quite as adventurous as you but i have opened a few malicious emails to watch it catch the bad guys.lol.

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

malicious emails! I never get any to play with, dammit, I feel neglected...I mad as hell! [​IMG]

12. aldan

aldan Active member

you gotta be the only one ive seen who doesnt find them incredibly annoying.LOL

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Back in the early days of malware, that is, right after the internet came into being in '95, I took an oath to defeat this crap or die... After bugging Merijn and picking his brain, studying malware removal at geeks-to-go and Malwareremoval.com, I came to the conclusion that the best way to fight malware is to set up a defense that it can't get through. Then to cover yo ass, just in case something does happen to get through, always have an image backup of your Boot Drive. I use Acronis True Image and it makes a backup every evening at 11pm. It then only takes 6 minutes to put my computer back to a clean day. I am so confident in how it works that I download and install Malware on my Real computer, not a virtual machine, and then figure out what it takes to remove it.

It has gotten to the point that I really, really enjoy being infected and then wiping it out down to the last registry entry it stuck in my machine... Kinda like having a green ball in your left hand and a green ball in your right hand. (Complete control of the "Jolly Green Giant")

14. aldan

aldan Active member

words to live by to be sure.never tried acronis but use macrium reflect.always have a nice,up to date hard drive just waiting.takes me about an hour,but only because i always forget how to do it.used to have an eidetic memory and still do.its just a lot slower now.lol

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I know the feeling. at 71 everything has dried up, leaks or uh or uh oh hell I can't remember what the third one is... [​IMG]

Built this box about 3 yrs ago and it still takes names and kicks ass. AMD X4 960T opened to 6 cores @ 4.2 GHz. and it will restore my drive using Acronis in about 6 minutes.

16. aldan

aldan Active member

hell your hi tech compared to me.amd phenom 8650 triple core (remember those?) 2.3ghz ocd to 2.8ghz.i even have a working ati hd4870.god i still love the old stuff.well it was free also.LOL

17. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have an older in my shop I use for downloading several movies or music at the same time.
    set it up and let it do it's thing while I drink beer and do my thing or whatever.:)

amd 720 tri opened to a quad runs about 3.4GHz. old but still hanging in there.

18. aldan

aldan Active member

i had mine to 3.0ghz but got an odd bluescreen so went back down to 2.85.i like messing with the old stuff.i think its the beer as well.hahaha