1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best media to use when copying ... uh uh I mean backing up a movie

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by AndreL, Oct 31, 2004.

1. AndreL

AndreL Regular member

I was reading an article on DVD Decrypter and it said
    Also does DVD decrypter have software for the new dual layer double sided DVD burners that hold up to 8.5 GB.

Last Question, some one here told me they make blank dual layer double sided Discs. Where are they, I know they cost a lot but I just want to see them for my self.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Media question? ... moved to Media Forum :)

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

AndreL,
    Taiyo Yuden is the best dvd media but usually also the most expensive. Some other good medias are Verbatum, Ricohjpn, TDK, Maxell, and Sony. Stay away from Memorex and retail store brand name media.

I don't mess with dl media as it is still way too expensive.

4. supertony

supertony Guest

whoa... I can't believe you just said that... what are wrong with memorex discs? i want to know because that's probably the only brand i've ever used... should I change over for some reason or what?

5. eric545

eric545 Regular member

I've recently found some 8X media at www.allmediaoutlet.com in California. The media is PowerMatrix 8X White Top DVD-Rs. When I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 to backup some DVD's, Roxio identified the media as 12X. When I use that media in my Pioneer DVR-108 it actually burns at 12X, and only cost around $.30 each. I have no idea how this media will perform in other burners, but for me they have been outstanding.

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Memorex buys their media from several different companys, some bad some good not to mention they cost more than many quality proven medias. A majority of the people having playback problems on their stand-alone dvd player (freezing, pixelating, and read errors)are useing memorex media. If your having good results with memorex then your lucky and chances are you won't be as lucky with the next batch. You can use this proggy to see who actually manufactured your media. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Ricohjpn is good and cmc magnetics is bad. Look here.http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

7. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

After using dvdidentifier you will probably remark that your Memorex are indeed CMC disks.
    Maybe not the worst, but close.

8. supertony

supertony Guest

Damn. you were right. I have two different memorex (4x, 8x) spindles and they are both cmc magectics discs. The bad thing is that they are the cheaspest in my area. But oh well. I think i'll change over to maxwell. i'd get some verbatum but the reel graphic on the disc is just ugly as hell. and I've never found some without it. crapolla memorex.

9. manestle

manestle Member

There are many brands of blank media that uses various manufacturers to make their discs. Usually when a name brand company like Memorex, Maxell, TDK, etc. run low on stock they will accept bids from disc manufacturers and the lowest bid gets it and that bidder is usually CMC Magnetics which are horrible. When you keep costs down usually quality suffers and this is the case here. Also there are only a few companies that manufactures blank media so I usually try to buy from companies that make their own.

10. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

manestle

I have never heard about Maxell using CMC.
    They do not necessary use the lowest bids.

11. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Ric The Red, you're 100% correct ... Maxell either makes their own .. gets 'em from Ritek .. has RICOHJPN make 'em or .. has Taiyo Yuden whip up a batch for 'em ... All in all, me thinks that this makes Maxell the BEST STORE BRAND by a long shot ...

12. manestle

manestle Member

Thanks for setting me straight about Maxell. I used them as an example. I haven't bought any of their media (CDR or DVDR) in a long time. When I do buy media I always check them out with a program like Nero InfoTool, Lite-On Smart Media Check or DVDInfoPro. The reason I use more than one media info check program is because sometimes one will not recognize the media while one of the other ones do. Kind of wierd but oh well. Ritek is by far my favorite but I've always had good luck with Verbatim media also. As for the cheap no name brands it's quite simple. You get what you pay for as they say.

13. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I'm a Ritek fan also ... Very consistant quality and a very fair price ... However, when I need a few DVDs in a hurry (like right now) or a store nearby has a 2 for 1 sale ... Maxell is my choice ... TDK is a distant second ... As far as ordering on-line ... Ritek all the way ...

14. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member