1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by blueiice2, Nov 18, 2004.

1. blueiice2

blueiice2 Member

Would like to know what is the top of the line dvd-r, i am making backups of very old vhs tapes from my family, would like to buy dvd-r that will last a long time and of course top of the line, please let me know,

2. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Taiyo Yuden, genuine, ones of course!

3. kchev

kchev Regular member

Taiyo Yuden is the [bold]only[/bold] choice.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  4. PK44

PK44 Member

Taiyo Yuden for sure

Then I would go with TDK but the latest batches have been a little inconsistent.

The media code on the disks is what's important, look around these forums and you'll see this link pop up frequently... http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm . Read it because it helps understand the media codes and what to look for.

5. mdudley

mdudley Member

I am not so sure. I bought a 50 pack of the Fuiji from Best Buy, which everyone is saying is Taiyo Yuden and they won't play on my Panasonic. The only disks I have found thus far that will play on my Panasonic are the Maxwell disks. Some of the other messages have said to make sure that the disks say made in Japan on them, but I can find no "made in" anywhere on the disks at all.

Does anyone know how I can determine the media code on a DVD-R disk?I have access to about 6 different DVD Players, and one Pioneer recorder, but can't find anything in any of the menus to read the media code.

Marshall

6. PK44

PK44 Member

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/index.php

This will find your media code, once installed press the little media cd button.

IMO buying a brand name from a retail store is never as safe as purchasing disks from a reputable online media source, that's why I stopped purchasing the TDKs from best buy. Some links actually tell you the media type. I recently just got my first Taiyo Yudens and I'm impressed, only burn them on 4x and for 55 cents a disk, why the F not!? The way I think of it, if I spend 35 or so cents on a disk that I'm not sure will play on everything I throw it in, why not spend the extra 20 cents to get the best of the best.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  7. mdudley

mdudley Member

That doesn't work for me. This is what I get on the Fuji disk:

Media Information
    Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Drive doesn't support media code
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name VOLUME IDENTIFIER
    Application id
    Implementation id PIONEER
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 11/16/2004 20:41:49
    Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
    Write Strategy Speed Not Defined
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 23127Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code

And this is what I get on a maxwell disk:

Disc Regions are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Drive doesn't support media code
    Format Type UDF 1.02
    Volume Name VOLUME IDENTIFIER
    Application id
    Implementation id PIONEER
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 10/ 8/2004 15:54:52
    Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type DVD-R
    Media Type DVD-R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
    Write Strategy Speed Not Defined
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Data area end sector 23127Fh
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code

Can one not get the information on a DVD recorder, such as a Pioneer 220?

Marshall

8. PK44

PK44 Member

That's strange. The full media code wasn't included?

Anyone else out there familiar with this reading?

Do you have a DVD Rom other than the Pioneer? Try it in there and change the dropdown.

9. mdudley

mdudley Member

NO, all I have is the DVD R drive that came with my Compaq, and an add on CD R/W from IOMega that I use for backups. No one I know around here has a DVD player or recorder on their computer, they all have CD. I had wanted to put a DVD R/W drive on this Compaq earlier this year but had to settle for a CD R/W instead because none of the DVD drives were compatible with my computer.

It seems that the Pioneer DVD recorder that I have hooked up to my home theater should have the ability to get this information, but I cannot find anything in the menus.

Marshall

10. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

Yo mdudley

download Decripter (free s/w) from this site, the Decripter mode/ISO/write, will print-out the info of DVD media.

11. CJC

CJC Regular member

12. kchev

kchev Regular member

If I remember correctly, only DVD [bold]burners[/bold] will read media codes.

13. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

i thought the best media is the most expensive one. So to my theory, maxwell should b the best one since it costs 1.24 dollar a piece. And what the heck is tayo yuden, sounds totally dumb. N how much is it by the way. Thanks

14. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

Some of the contributors here will have spent many hours trying various combinations of media, burner, firmware, speed, etc and then KProbing and testing the results on various types of player in the hope of finding a reliable solution. So, when you come across a brand of media that gives consistently excellent results recorded at any speed, gives outstanding KProbe results and plays well in any player, it's like finding the Holy Grail.

For many of us who have been on this quest the Holy Grail turned out to be Taiyo Yuden.

15. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

That's the lamest thign i've heard, requires no technical explanation but you also come to a conclusion which is Tayo Yuden. Ahhhhh !

16. Higgsbsun

Higgsbsun Regular member

I'm sorry, what part of "excellent results recorded at any speed, or outstanding KProbe results and wide player compatibilty do you find lame?

Perhaps when you've wasted a goodly amount of money on dodgy Riteks, Princos or Bulkpaqs you may find that "Tayo Yuden" (sic), is not "totally dumb" after all.

17. cuteperv

cuteperv Regular member

Dude Ritek works with me, so it's god. Tayo Yuden might too but I do not wanna find out aobu tit. Thank u

18. geeman999

geeman999 Member

I say the cheapest brand that burns at near if not 100% is the best deal. at supermedia taiyo yuden-r 8x is $.45 a disk plus shipping, ritek -r 8x is $0.44 a disk shipping included, prodisc -r 8x is $.33 a disk plus shipping. Add about $0.06 for shipping. I haven't gotten a coaster after 30 burns with prodisc-r 8x. Seems like a good deal to me.

19. 222333444

222333444 Member

Well. I will sell you my taiyo yuden discs for $3.00 a piece if that will convince you that they are the best.

Or you could buy them where I bought mine http:// supermediastore.com for less than half of what your paying for (not sure what they actually are could be garbage). You can get them for even less at other on line places.

Here is a link that greatly helps end the confusion. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

20. geeman999

geeman999 Member

I think the digitalFAQ list is someone simplistic. I think there is some varience depending on the type and speed of the media and on your burner. If you get 100% burns with a particular media, it is as good as any. In other words Taiyo Yuden tygo1,tygo2 probably gives almost everybody 100% burns in almost all burners, but there is definitely a premium you are paying. It is definitely worth the price is you have a finicky burner or crummy software. My machine is giving me 100% burns at 8x with prodisc FO1's, at 20% less cost. Hey good enough for me. Anyway if all you readers buy only taiyo yuden media, maybe the price of prodisc's will drop further and the price of taiyo yuden media will increase. Wait!!! Please buy only taiyo yuden media, more money in my pocket.