1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the box pvr h/drive format?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by joemc61, Jan 3, 2008.

1. joemc61

joemc61 Member

i,m having problems trying to format h/drive on pvr box.the manual says switch on and hold menu button down till play appears then it should start formatting mine however seems to be doing nothing but a small green dot/dash on screen no numbers or anything.does formatting take a long time(how long if it does 80gig h/drive)also if i go to menu page-hdd interface-format all i get is blue box in bottom left saying hdd initializing,does this mean formatting?i know i,m probally doing something stupid but its all new to me.jumper on back of h,drive is in far right slot as looking from back is this in right place?thanks for any advice my supplier seems to bedragging his heels with information on this otherwise box works fine but need h,drive to record.thanks joe

2. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    First of all do you have the latest firmware installed ? Goto Menu/System Setup/System Information for this. If its TheBox PVR Version 4.5 or later ok, If earlier you need to update it.
    Look in the link at the bottom of this post and go into Starview_PVR folder for files then Documentation folder for how too's. Your Hard drive needs to be set to Master and the red line on the ribbon cable should be closest to the 4 pin power connector.
    jbvid
    Update: Just been looking at an earlier post by us and the small jumper plug has to be in the correct place (ie set to MASTER)or it won't work. There should be some info printed on the drive with jumper positions if not get a new hard drive.
    http://eko.4shared.com/

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  3. joemc61

joemc61 Member

hi jb,
    everything seems to be in right place-jumper thingy set to standard position for cable connection?-i can get to hdd interface and start to format i think but i,m not sure what comes up on screen and how long it takes,being new to this nothing looks like its happening except it says hdd initializing does this mean its formatting,sorry for being a bit of a pain but you have been very helpful thanks joe

4. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Jumper set to standard position ? Don't understand what you mean by that? The only options for Jumper settings are for setting it to Master,Slave or CS.(IT NEEDS TO BE SET TO MASTER) Where Did you get this hard drive? sound very old, can't you find another one with a picture of the jumper settings printed on it?
    If you have the recent firmware installed, when you do a Menu format
    it brings up a smaller box center screen with a % increase showing and only takes a few minutes.
    jbvid

5. joemc61

joemc61 Member

have just checked h,drive its a western digital supplied with box so presumably new.jumper settings-its set up for cable select setting?but there are three other options,firstly remove jumper(single or master)secondlymove to center(master or slave present and lastly move one along left (slave)there only options on h,drive so is it just a case of taking out jumper? thanks jb

6. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

@joemc61
    I told you it needed to be set to Master in my second post tonight, anyway you are there at last. Now get it formatted and start recording.
    jbvid

7. joemc61

joemc61 Member

nearly there but not quite i,m not sure how to set to master i have taken out jumper but it still seems same to me,when i press button with red dot on it asks me to format h,drive.if i press epg button it will take to list of programs i can record.as i said not exactly sure of what i,m doing any more advice jb

8. joemc61

joemc61 Member

ps jb
    havent seen % box for formatting rate yet which makes me think i,m doing it wrong

9. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Sorry, out of ideas.
    jbvid

10. joemc61

joemc61 Member

thanks anyway jb
    have tried tied it the way it came 1st,then with no jumper(single or master setting)only option left is centre(master or slave present)cant be last option slave .going to try it now and will let you know cheers joe

11. joemc61

joemc61 Member

tried all options but box now saying h,drive not installed.supplier thinks i need to reflash it.still waiting to see if he means evrything or just h,drive.box itself is still working fine.hopefully he will give some advice on reflashing otherwise i,ll be back on later begging you guys.

12. joemc61

joemc61 Member

got email off suppllier and he says to reflash box with h,drive in it?box still working fine just h,drive.he sent a win rar file so do i have to install software to open file and will it be difficult/long to flash.mate said maybe h,drive just needs reformatting but i aint got a clue.cheers guys