1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Box PVR vs Eurovox Max

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by osmononam, Sep 5, 2007.

1. osmononam

osmononam Member

Hi, my question is simple, reliability wise which one would be a better bet?

I used to have the old Starview box and had to constantly update it (and it kept freezing), however, since i got my Eurovox Red i haven't had to worry about a thing. Now this new The Box PVR is out and I'm tempted to buy it, has anyone had any hands on experience with it? Does the EPG work as it should (something i never got working on my original Starview)?

Basically i was left with a bad taste when i bought the original Starview and just want to make sure that things have moved on and that this box is as good and comparable to the Eurovox i have.

Many thanks,

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

3. osmononam

osmononam Member

Hi, thanks, that was an interesting read. I understand that its a new product and as such it won't have the support levels of the main 2 boxes out there. But once set up properly shouldn't it be as easy and reliable to use as the EV or SV? I don't mind spending a good few days on it to get it working properly but i don't want a repeat of the days i had with my original Starview.

4. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

Ohh I love my SV ha ha :)

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Basically its an SV with PVR capabilities thats all the EPG is a bit better but thats it really. If you take away the extra tuners and HDD,(which you have to purchase seperately BTW), you are left with a SV. The Eurovox is a much better box as you know so with the timer facilty and a decent DVD recorder it is quite adequate. If you are looking for a cheap PVR then the Starview one is OK, old saying what do you want a mini or a rolls royce?

BTW Celtic is a BIG SV fan :)

6. Celtic71

Celtic71 Active member

I have my SV since March and I love it plus I bought a 320GB HDD DVD Recorder in June so Im happy as a pig in shite :)

7. osmononam

osmononam Member

Hi thanks, I've read up a bit more on the forums about the SV PVR and think I'll leave it for the time being. I would love to have recording capabilities (the dual tuners is what i really wanted it for) but if the EPG is only slightly better than that of the SV then I'll pass. Whats the point of the dual tuners if you don't even know whats on or whats going to be on later in the day.

thanks,

p.s. Do you know if there are any plans by the Eurovox team to bring out a PVR box?

8. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Wise choice ;) You can get other linux based boxes with PVR capabilities but they are quite hard to set up and also are quite expensive.

Regarding the Eurovox everything seems to be migrating towards PVR functionality so yes in my opinion I could see them going in that direction.