1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The burning question?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wolfy920, Jan 12, 2007.

1. wolfy920

wolfy920 Member

Iv'e been lurking around here for a couple months learning quite a bit about backing up dvds. I'm using Ripit4me+dvddecrypter+shrink,then burning to disc. All on 16xverbs-r @8x. No coasters, and scans on cddvd-speed look pretty good with an average of 95 quality score.

Now for the burning question: Is there any difference between burning from a "file" ripped with dvddecypter and an "iso image" ripped with dvddevrypter?? what I'm after here is the qualty of the burned disc.

I have tried a couple of discs using the iso read-write mode and although they work fine on the pc, my settop players will not play them at all. cant even get to the menu.

Thanks in advance , this sie is awesome!!!!

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Technically, they're both the same on the final result. However, with "file mode" (IFO, BUP and VOB) you have more control over the files. That being said, you can edit, strip, blank or delete any useless junks (i.e. FBI Warnings, useless commercials/advertisements, previews, etc.) and implement a better quality of bakups in the end. Honestly, I'm a "file mode" or VIDEO_TS (IFO, BUP and VOB) person, since I despise all of them useless junks. However, the choice is yours.
    Maybe that's because when ripping as an ISO, there are still left over corrupted cells or pgcs on the ISO. Unless you want to go with DVD9 (DVD+R DL), then that's another story. Another possibility reason is maybe your standalone DVD player is picky for some of the latest media. Try to get high quality (1st class) DVD+R media and "booktype" into DVD-ROM to see if it'll solve the problem. Yes, DVD-ROM is the best and most compatible DVD format for all functional DVD players.

Best of luck!!

3. wolfy920

wolfy920 Member

Thanks for the reply alkohol...

I have downloaded and read your quide for vobBlanker. I usualy just use ripit4me to force the backup to jump to the main menu bypassing all the other crap. but it makes sense to strip all the usless junk out.I'm gonna try vobblanker and see how that goes..

as for getting Qualty media, local is out of the question,have too order online...I was gonna get some TY to try anyway so I'll get +r and try booktyping them..

4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Here http://my.afterdawn.com/alkohol/blog_entry.cfm/1481 is one of my very basic guide for "deleting or blanking" useless VTS or Cells using VobBlanker. Try it, overall it's free anyways.

NOTE: when I said useless, I meant 99.99% of them are those annoying FBI Warnings, annoying rating screens/logos, commercials or useless advertisements, useless Previews or Trailers, unwanted extras or feature, etc.) Yes, it's true there are limited (or few) extras that I do keep, but that is if only I really like it. Otherwise, it's useless to me and was there to take more space only. All I care for is the "quality and longevity" of all my backups.

Again, yes "booktyping" is the best way to go nowadays, especially if you had few picky DVD players. To be honest, I've been using high quality (1st class) DVD+R media; Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim and Hitachi Maxell (Made In Japan) and booktyping them into DVD-ROM and all 3 of my DVD players can play them flawlessly. Another good note is to always keep your DVD burner's firmware up-to-date, firmware helps to increase burning performances and increase media compatibility.

Best of luck!!

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I see the differences between burn engines when comparing backups that were burned with dvd decrypter,nero,and ImgBurn.

Nero and ImgBurn give me the best quality. The issues show up with dvd decrypter.Dvd decrypter hasn't been updated in over 2 years,but ImgBurn has.

I haven't used ripit4me.I use dvd shrink majority of the time and Dvd decrypter's Iso Read and ImgBurn to write for my smaller dvd-5's I'm ripping as well as my Dual Layer backups.

Dvd decrypter Iso Read Mode: No compression,no need for dvd shrink,so you'll get a faster process time with less strain on the pc. About 5 mins to rip to harddrive. Then you can use Mode ISO write or ImgBurn,find the movie,locate mds files,open,set burn speed and burn away. ImgBurn is a very good,free program.

File mode in dvd decrypter: I used that for the larger dvd-9 movies when backing up onto single layer blanks,not so much anymore. They have to be compressed,via dvd shrink. I bypass that ripping with dvd decrypter step and rip with dvd shrink. You can then have nero,copytodvd,dvd decrypter,or ImgBurn set to autoburn for you with no extra step-when all your settings are correct.

Any encryption issues, I enable anydvd in the background.

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Edit:

Whoops,I double posted yesterday and didn't notice.

Sorry!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007