1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Burning Speed MYTH

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by D_GR8_1, Mar 13, 2005.

1. D_GR8_1

D_GR8_1 Member

Hi,

I'm new to the PS2 scene having just bought my PSTWO couple of days ago. Browsing these forums I read that when Backups are burned at higher speed, there is a higher chance of burning-out your PSTWO laser then when burned at low speed.

I have hearded the expression "Straining" your laser one two many times, which doesnt seem to make sense.

I'm from an Engineering background, however the concept of "straining" a laser beam doesnt ring any bells.

Would anyone care to elaborate on this?

2. mini_mod

mini_mod Member

The faster an object spins the more friction it is subjected to. So if the disc is spinning too fast friction can cause it to shift in the tray or jump at some spots, so the laser burning the info will begin to write to another track and when the disc settles it will go back to its original track but not at the same point it left off at.

Thats the simple way to explain it.

3. D_GR8_1

D_GR8_1 Member

You are talking about WRITING to the disk.

I am asking about READING the disk.

People say that disks WRITTEN at 4X have a higher chance of burning out your PSTWO laser than disks written at 1X.

4. XhyDra

XhyDra Member

[bold]D_GR8_1[/bold]

I would say that the Myth applies to older DVD writers and not new ones, as new DVD witers are only able to write at 2x and higher. Nowadays it isn't the speed but the media and the writer, some media can be written at 12x (TDK 8X DVD-R TTG02 for example) and read perfectly fine on a PS2 but that is due to the burn strategy of a DVD writer. I tested a few media out and found that 4x writing gave me better results than 1x or 2x.

5. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

read speed doesn't matter. Burn speed still depends on your ps2 laser, but slower is better (less chance of errors).

6. Pdasterly

Pdasterly Member

From experience, I burned Live 05 at 8x and the game Videos and tutorials would skip and freeze, but the game is still playable, I then reburned from original at 2.5X and it plays perfect.
    Disc burn speed does matter. Any good computer can burn and still multitask at the same time:)