1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Complete Guide and FAQ to making a XBOX GAME BACKUP! LOOK HERE BEFORE MAKING "How to..." THREADS!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Quadratic, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jadude

jadude Member

Okay I did that, didn't work. Umm, what if I tried to start the extraction with file 000?

2. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Go for it!

3. xbox12345

xbox12345 Member

I'm thinking of doing the soft mod with the splinter cell save game, which will give me access to the evolutionX dashboard.

After doin the above will I be able to follow this tutorial to back up and play the games?

4. cpbox1

cpbox1 Member

Hi ATIROCKS

I have had no problems in using ftp to get the flies to my PC, (I am taking the files from my harddisk and not from the d:\ drive) I have created the iso using xboxisotool and burnt it using dvddecrypter (used a dvd+rw) and tried to play it but xbox would not reconise the disk. I have downloaded ISO's from share sites and they work without a problem.

I tried to use quix and Craxtion 4 but have problems creating an ISO with these - found xboxisotool to be the best.

I'll drive on - try some different dvd media and tools and report back when I get it sorted.

Whats the best way to take the files to my PC?, using a standard ftp app like ws ftp?

And is it best to copy from the D:\ drive or the f:\ drive (Harddisk) or does it make a differance?

Thanks again

5. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Wat up cpbox1, it doesn't really matter as to how you transfer the files from your xbox via ftp, but it would be faster to get them off the hdd, as there is no laser seeking time to load the file. Nonetheless, the best to use in ftping, from experience, would be flashfxp, though i doubt it hardly matters as to what program you use...but if you want, just check it out!
    Good luck modding!!!

6. retic

retic Member

how many games can you back with a normal xbox harddrive.

7. retic

retic Member

how many games can you back with a normal xbox harddrive.

8. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

You can back up around 2-3 games, as some of the games are 3-4 gigs.

9. retic

retic Member

what type of harddrive should i buy to back more games?

10. myfixx

myfixx Guest

I recommend a Maxtor 200GB Hard Disk Drive 250 GB 7200. I have one and it's perfect.

11. retic

retic Member

How many games can you back on an 80GB harddrive?

12. myfixx

myfixx Guest

With an installed dashboard like evox, you can install up to 20 games on a 80gb hdd. Each game varies from 2 - 4gb in size.

13. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

I'm trying to FTP trasfer to and from my softmodded xbox, but I can't seem to actually do anything with the files.

I can see the 7 folders, but if I put in a game I have to reopen FlashFXP before it will show the game files. I cannot drag anything "out" of my xbox folders onto my pc, nor can I make new folders in the xbox (i.e. Apps, Games in /F/). It's like all I can do is look at things. It's nonresponsive.

I'm directly connected via crossover cable. The IP settings are correct I think, and my firewall is disabled. I *should* just be able to drag files over to a desktop folder, right? And "add new" folders into the xbox? Maybe I'm not using FlashFXP right.

14. retic

retic Member

Does a mod chip have any space on it for games or do all the games go to the harddrive.

15. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

I forgot to mention that I'm not 100% confident in my crossover cable. I used to use it for a network that was very unreliable, so maybe it's crappy. Would that explain why things are only working halfway?

16. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

FlashFXP doesn't work for a lot of people. I suggest using IPSwitch WS FTP Pro for better results. If you're using a stock hdd (the one that came with your xbox), the reason you can't create new documents in it is because you don't have any space in it! Until you get an upgrade (if you want one), you'll have to use the E: drive to store apps and games in (NOTE:You will only be able to store 1-2 games on the stock hdd because of limited space!) If you have upgraded it, then you need to partition your xbox to give the majority of it's space to the F: and G: Drive.

No. All games either go to the harddrive or you have to burn them to a blank dvd.

If you can FTP into your xbox hdd, then I'm pretty sure that there's nothing wrong with your cable.

17. tankpower

tankpower Regular member

I successfully softmodded by Xbox - bigtime yay. I added Snes and Genesis stuff, as well as a few skins for my dash.

What now? I have XBMC, DVD2XBOX, and some other stuff on my pc, but I don't really know what's worth putting onto my Xbox. My goals:

- play DVD movies without remote
    - if possible, watch divx episodes burned from pc onto dvd-r
    - maybe put one game (a volleyball game, coincidently) on the actual hd to tinker with (!)
    - backup several games onto dvd-r

To my understanding, XBMC will play dvd/divx. DVD2XBOX will copy games onto my xbox hd, right? And then I just FTP over to pc and use Craxion/Quix to copy, and DVD Decrypter to burn xiso? I don't mind figuring out the specifics, I just want to make sure these progs are enough to do this stuff.

18. si2252

si2252 Member

when establishing a ftp connection and you are changing your lan settings. How do you do this, where is your menu to change these. is it on your xbox or pc. i new to all this so its a bit confusing at the moment.

19. xbox12345

xbox12345 Member

I've finally managed to softmod my xbox and have the evox dashboard running.

I'm now trying to FTP via Flashfxp. Ive followed the instructions in the tutorial but i keep on getting the following:

R Connecting to xbox IP= 192.168.0.3 PORT = 21
    R connection failed (connection timed out)

any advice would be most welcome

20. jadude

jadude Member

well, is that the ip of your Xbox? do you have the password put in? and go to Xbox-scene.com and look for tutorials if all else fails.