1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The complete HD (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) back-up thread.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by Ryu77, Mar 14, 2008.

1. odin24

odin24 Regular member

So should your new profile be used regarless of the HD resolution?

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I would say yes... The new profile allows for a wider range in quantization, which means that certain parts in the video that require more bits in order to be encoded at optimum quality can now do so.

My logic tells me that the minimum quantization factor should be set to 1. Since I have now changed it from 10 to 5, I would like to see how that goes for a while then I might experiment with a few encodes set to minimum quant of 1.

3. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Great, please enlighten us after your experimentation.

4. calimon

calimon Member

Hey guys,
    I have a question. I have ripped blueray disk movie which have kinda large files its main stream is 16gig. I want to put it on FAT32 HDD. The question is is there a way to split the big file and still keeping the menu, extras etc. I want to demux it only if possible (I want its full quality intact :D
    thanks in advance ;)

5. murph99

murph99 Member

I apologize for asking such a simple question but once I mpeg-2 transport stream file using mkv2vob the instructions say to move the file using your prefered method. I want to burn to dvd9. I have Nero 7. How do I burn this to the disc? Do I use nero vision and make a avchd file to burn? Or is there another method I'm missing? Sorry for the newbie question. Thank you.

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Once you have your m2ts file use Nero Burning Rom and make a UDF-Data DVD, file system versio 2.5 (manually changed).

If you wish to have a AVCHD type of disc I suggest using tsMuxeR. Load your mkv, change the AVC level from 5.1 to 4.1 (if appl.), select Blu-Ray, then start muxing. This will give you a "BDMV" and "Certificate" folders, burn both of these just like I mentioned before.

Technically you can make a AVCHD disc with Nero Vision but this will totally mess with the specs of your video file, plus it will take forever to recode.

7. tjh011

tjh011 Member

I posted this in another thread but havent had any replies, so I am going to try it here because I know you guys will have the answer. I am trying to follow Ryu77 instructions as follows:

I have been reading a ton about avisynth, but I cant seem to figure it out. Here is what I have tried. If I go to megui - tools - d2v creator - and load my .ts video file, select demux all audio, and start the process. I get a "no video sequence header found" error & "no data, check your pids", and cant go any further. I was trying to get it to a .d2v file so I can use the avisynth script creater tool in megui.

I may be on the wrong path completely, but how to I get my demuxed video into avisynth to re-encode the video?

8. odin24

odin24 Regular member

If you are trying to demux just the audio use tsMuxeR, not MeGUI. To start a AVISynth script you can do this from the tools menu in MeGUI, load your file there instead of the d2v creator.

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  9. tjh011

tjh011 Member

I did use tsmuxer to demux and have no problems there. When I try and load the video only in .m2ts in avisynth script creator I just get an error and it closes the program. I have the latest version.

The only reason I was trying to use d2v creator is because when I tried to use a .ts file in the script creator and it told me to use d2v creator first.

10. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Since I have never recoded a MPEG4/AVC h264 file in the m2ts container I'm not sure if it ever works well with MeGUI, since Ryu77 suggested I'm sure it does... anyway. Here is another way around your problem.

Demux the video raw h264 file using tsMuxeR.

Mux to mkv (video only) using MKVmergeGUI. If you do not have MKVmergeGUI download it at the beginning of this thread (mkvtoolnix).

Start the AviSynth/MeGUI process over by creating a new AviSynth script using MuGUI's script creator using the new mkv, instead of the m2ts. I'm sure this will work.

Hope this helps, good luck.

11. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Edited because of my lack of reading.

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  12. tjh011

tjh011 Member

I finally got it to open in AVS Script Creator! I uninstalled Groove Monitor from Office 2007 and I stopped getting the error and shutdown.

Now, I have loaded the raw demuxed .264 file in and loaded Ryu's profile and added it to the queue. But when I hit start I get an error. I selected RawAVC as output on the input screen, and mkv container on the size screen.

Here is the log:
    MeGUI Version: 0.2.6.1046
    OS used: Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1
    Framework used: 2.0 SP1
    ------------------------------------------------------

Generating jobs. Desired size: 20.5 GB

Desired size of this job series: 20.5 GB
    Split size of this job series: N/A

Looking for job processor for job...

Processor found!

Starting job job1 at 12:25:17 PM

Starting preprocessing of job...

Doing bitrate calculation...
    Desired video size after subtracting audio size is 21437496KBs. Setting the desired bitrate of the subsequent video jobs to 983 kbit/s.
    Preprocessing finished!

successfully started encoding

Processing ended at 12:25:22 PM

Log for job job1

Job commandline: "C:\Program Files\megui\tools\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 983 --stats "D:\Applications\Multimedia applications\MeGUI\x264 log file" --keyint 24 --min-keyint 1 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --subme 1 --partitions none --ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 38000 --qcomp 0.5 --me dia --threads auto --thread-input --sar 1:1 --progress --no-psnr --no-ssim --output NUL "D:\Blu Ray\Pirates of Caribbean 3 - at worlds end\video mkv\pirates3.avs" --mvrange 511 --aud --nal-hrd --sar 1:1
    C:\Program Files\megui\tools\x264\x264.exe: unknown option -- nal-hrd

End of log for job1
    ------------------------

13. odin24

odin24 Regular member

To: tjh011

I had that same problem until I installed the latest x264.exe. Here's a link, download it, delete your old x264.exe and replace with the new one.

http://megui.org/auto/x264-839.zip

14. tjh011

tjh011 Member

I tried updating to that version and still get the same error. I also unistalled megiu and reinstalled and still the same. But, when I switched to the SA-Blu-ray profile instead of Ryu's it started encoding just fine. Im guessing I have got some settings not quite right to use his profile, and idea on what I am missing.

Thanks for all your help!!

15. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

I'm having the exact same problem

16. odin24

odin24 Regular member

I'm not sure then, I haven't used then other profiles. Sorry.

17. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

It sounds like you guys are having some incompatibility with the x264 encoder and the command line that I use. I uploaded the MeGUI that I use with all the tools (plug-ins) fully up to date as of today.

Here's a link: http://www.mediafire.com/?xcnhcb1j14f

After you download this zip file, extract it and then run the file named MeGUI v0.2.6.1046, you then should go into Options/Settings/Program Paths and then tell MeGUI where all the tools (plug-ins) are.

18. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Here is the error I'm getting in the log

Starting job job3 at 1:29:13 AM

Starting preprocessing of job...

Preprocessing finished!

successfully started encoding

Processing ended at 1:29:15 AM

Log for job job3

Job commandline: "C:\Program Files\megui\tools\x264\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 9925 --stats "D:\Applications\Multimedia applications\MeGUI\x264 log file" --keyint 24 --min-keyint 1 --bframes 3 --b-pyramid --direct auto --subme 1 --partitions none --qpmin 5 --ipratio 1.1 --pbratio 1.1 --vbv-bufsize 30000 --vbv-maxrate 38000 --qcomp 0.5 --me dia --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no-ssim --output NUL "C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin\Desktop\s-weownthenight.avs" --mvrange 511 --aud --nal-hrd --sar 1:1
    avis [info]: 1280x720 @ 23.98 fps (169104 frames)
    x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1
    x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2 SSE3 Cache64
    x264 [error]: ratecontrol_init: can't open stats file
    x264 [error]: x264_encoder_open failed

19. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

This is why I suggested that there must be some incompatibility with the x264 encoder and my command line. You must be using a different x264 encoder and/or MeGUI core.

Did you download the MeGUI package I posted a link for above? I am sure if you try encoding with that package then you will have no problems.

20. D_messiah

D_messiah Member

complete noob to blu-ray backup...sorry!

I was able to rip a blu-ray disk to my HD using anydvdhd and was even able to play the file back using media player classic-klite codec pack on vista, but am very confused as to what steps i need to take to burn this file created by anydvdhd to a blank blu-ray disk.

Can someone please be kind enough to tell me what my next steps would be in order to burn(what software) and be able to play back on my PS3?
    thanks!