1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Complete Inability to Use Single-Cart Download Play on a G6.

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Materia, May 5, 2007.

1. Materia

Materia Member

Hello all. I am well aware that enabling soft-reset or trimming roms can hamper one's ability to use the affected rom to initiate single-cart download play with another ds user who does not have said game. However according to the following thread, amongst others...

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/451129

... the general consensus is that barring the aforementioned impediments, one should be able to use a legally-backed up rom, run off of a flashcart or sd card to initiate download play with another player who does not have said game. Again, the consensus seems to be that even in this case, neither player need have a flashed DS. In fact, I have actually done said setup using an M3 Simply and a normal, unflashed DS. However, for some reason, I cannot get this to work with a G6 hosting the game. I have tried all the various write modes offered in the loader menu. I have not trimmed the file. Nonetheless, the game always hangs after getting a wee bit in. And these are not newer games awaiting patches. Oendan, Tetris... they all hang a second after download confirms and the other DS's "Nintendo" logo starts to grey. If I play two-cart mode, with the G6 hosting, I actually can make it through the bulk of the menus and actually find my oponent and confirm options before the the thing finally hangs. Thusly, my question is - why? It works on a Simply sending to a normal DS; why won't it work on a G6? Am I somehow screwing up the write process? Do I need to patch something? Is there simply a problem with the G6 and this function? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

That would be because your using a G6, a completely different device. The G6 patches all of the games you put onto it so they can run from slot-2, patching the game breaks download play. This is the same for all slot-2 devices.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  3. Materia

Materia Member

I see. So, if you'll allow me to just double check this point, that would mean that any flashcart or sd-card based add-on that operates from slot-2 (G6, the ol' M3 microSD slot-2 mod...) is absolutely incapabable of initializing single-cart download play no matter what the circumstances. This is owing to the fact that said rom must be patched to play from the second slot. It can take part in download play if both players have said game, it can receive downloaded games from another DS via single cart-play, and it can access the wifi network with no problem -- however it will never be able to host single-cart play. I am correct on these points? There would also, I thus assume, be no trick to put an unpatched version of the game on a slot-2 cart, thus allowing some form of this function to be completed -- just my final, last-ditch effort and somehow enabling this feature. Once more, any help is greatly appreciated. And I also feel I must give a big thanks to the inimitable Mr. Hanky as his replies to my posts and those of countless other individuals have proven immeasureably helpful time and time again.

4. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

That is correct, as soon as a game is modified in any way (trimming, patching etc.) it loses its RSA signiture, this isnt a problem when running off a G6 as this bypasses the checks, however as soon as you try to send the game to another DS it checks the RSA signiture on the other DS, and as it is wrong it will not load it.

There are apparently a couple of games that do not get checked (according to Venom5880 Bomberman worked for him, but it didn't for me)

5. Materia

Materia Member

And now, a new wrinkle. I may have been a bit premature in my assessment of the M3S, or perhaps misunderstood some of the information presented on the boards. Either way, it would seem that there are indeeed, upon further testing, a great deal of games with whicheven the slot-1 M3S does not support single-cart play with an unflashed DS. Is this a hard-and-fast rule, or can I use a different rom/firmware/formatting to make this work? Tetris, no prob, other games (Metroid Hunters, English Training...) remain a no go. Does this mean that even slot-1 chips that require no GBA-slot patching modifications to their games are still incapable of single-cart download function on many games? Or is there anything I can do to get download play up and running on these games on a M3S playing againts a non-flashed DS? Thanks in advance.

6. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

It turns out the M3DSS (and R4DS) actually does some sort of patching on the go while running the game (it breaks it into 4MB chunks) this breaks download play in quite a few games. The M3 team are working on their own device (the M3 Real) which should fix this, and introduce lots more features.