1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The coolest mac ever? The MACMINI!!! WOW

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by mediaguru, Jan 11, 2005.

1. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

[​IMG]
    OH MAN ARE THOSE COOL! AND CHEAP!!! The computer would will never be the same.

A 1.25ghz G4 with hard drive, combo cd-r/dvd, 256 megs of ram for 499? Unbelievable. I want 5 of them. Oh and it's like 2" tall and about 5x6" in size???!!! wow.

For $499 all of you who are using an old G4 or G3 here is your chance to rip/compress/burn a hell of a lot faster!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  2. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

wish this thing came out a year ago (about the time i bought the computer i'm writing this message one). always wanted a mac, but they were just to expensive.

3. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

"Too expensive" can no longer be used as an excuse not to buy a mac.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  4. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

yeah, but i got a perfectly built pc (if there is such thing) which suprisingly hasn't cocked up once in the past two years. but when the time comes to upgrade(buy a new comp), i will be defenetly looking at a mac alternative.

5. RED_BULL

RED_BULL Guest

yes,THIS IS FANTASTIC
    So small,a complete mac.But a small correction:its a g4 NOT g5.
    2 years before i bought my mac for 2500€ now the same one for 500€
    damn...
    And there is also a lot of new things for apple,check www.apple.com

6. TonyN

TonyN Member

That thing is cool looking. I just never got used to their OS.

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

IMO it is impossible to have a "perfectly built pc" because that would mean it has the windows operating system.

I have no intention of staring another boring mac/pc thread but I happen to think OSX KILLS any version of windoze. You can't argue about a subjective assessment.

8. afarber

afarber Member

I believe it's only a dvd-rom, not a writer. You can certainly rip and compress, but you'll need to buy and external burner to burn.

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

Yes that's right. External firewire burner. I'm sure there will be a superdrive version later.

10. macburner

macburner Guest

you can upgrade to a superdrive too

11. gozilla

gozilla Regular member

only gripe with this system is that is ships with 256MB or ram. (thats easily fixed however). otherwise, this is one great little computer.

12. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

yeah I aggree I have a dual 2Ghz G5, cant wait for tiger to come out, anyone here got iLife or iWork '05??

13. Marchalis

Marchalis Member

Unless I miss my guess, there is a Superdrive version for about $699.

14. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

I think I have iLife. What does that come with? I have all the iApps and garage band.

15. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

16. tmkansell

tmkansell Member

I should be getting iLife '05 in the next couple of days here! I didn't get iWork though, because I have heard that Pages isn't that great from the people that get the pre-release version. As much as I hate to admit it Microsoft still have the best with MS Office. Someday though I'm sure Pages will catch up to Word.

I can't wait to get a Mini Mac so I can hook it up to my TV and run it kinda like Home Media center. I just need to save up. I am thinking I might just sell my blueberry ibook and old model PS2 and then get one.

And also incase anyone was interested you can upgrade to a Super Drive (DVD burner) on the Mini Mac for $100.

17. Burnzilla

Burnzilla Regular member

This isn't worth the money. Most affordable mac ever doesn't mean that the price is right with the specs it comes with. It's good for people with money to burn like for a media hub or to put into their car for a true digital environment. I hope come WWDC Apple will get everything right for once. Mac mini is as good as the iPod Shuffle (not the Curley shuffle) and that's not a compliment. I know everyone is used to having the mac cost a lot more than any other pc but you shouldn't be happy just cause they joined the rest of the world making an affordable computer. The small form factor also means upgrading isn't very feasable. I loved my Powerbook (better specs than the mac mini) but it killed me that it cost so much for a G4 (i've since sold it to pay bills) and i enjoy my iPod (40 gig 3g) but i got it as a gift and would never pay those prices (My girlfriend paid $479, i told her i loved her and to never buy technology without asking me first).

18. epepper9

epepper9 Regular member

dude, macs are worth the money, they can be a little steep, but there are ways to shop around, like tell a computer store what you want to pay, say chop 150 dollars of that and give me iLife '05 they might say ok, and you got a better deal, or go to ebay.

The tests of the G5 dual 2Ghz and dual 2.5Ghz beat dual 3.2Ghz pcs, so power isn't always speed, and mac os x is the most secure os, I have never had a crash or a freeze.

19. mediaguru

mediaguru Regular member

You don't always have to buy new off the shelf. Pick up a newer used one or last year's model. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

I submit to you that even though macs for the most part are more expensive they are worth it because they last longer. I've got macs from 1996-1997-1998 that are still working great and being "useful"... I don't know of many people using peecees from 1996.

Damn, I did it. I just bit into the stupid peecee/mac debate. STOP IT NOW!

20. tmkansell

tmkansell Member

I acctually saw a comparison of a Mini Mac to a Dell PC that costs about the same price. They put everything about the computers side by side and gave the advantage to the mini mac. The Dell had slightly better specs in most of the categories, but the mini mac won out in most of the software side. So I really is worth the price for all the killer software that you get...plus its so damn small.

As for mac being worth the money. I have to say when you look around ebay they do have a very high resale value. I'm sure in like 3-5 years when you are ready to upgrade from the mini mac you will still be able to get like $300 dollars plus for it. That G4 Cube is still selling for at least as much if not more then the new mini mac and the cube is like half the specs for everything.