1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Day After Tomorrow - Need a backup!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nater11, Feb 18, 2005.

1. nater11

nater11 Member

hi all, last time i posted a thread here alot of people gave me great help - i hope you all can do the same for me again! : )

I'd really like to backup my 'The Day After Tomorrow' DVD. I know i cant use DVD Shrink to do it, what program would be the easiest to use so i can get a copy of it for my backups???

thanks all!

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

dvd decrypter

3. nater11

nater11 Member

yes, i have DVD decrypter - but isnt that only for burning the DVD? decrypter doesnt have any software to get the data off the DVD, does it?

4. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

DVD Decrypter is first or all for riping (copying) dvd's to your computer.

DVD Shrink is for encodind the dvd files now on your computer so they can fit on to a dvd+r so you can have a backup.

Use this guide full dvd backup with working titles, etc...
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd9_to_dvdr_with_dvd_shrink.cfm
    but because 'The Day After Tomorrow'is a new film use dvd decrypter to rip the files instead of shrink because dvd decrypter is much beter at breaking through copy right protection, etc... then follow the rest of the guide.

If you just want the main movie and not titles and extras, you may want to use Re-Authored option in shrink. This will increase quality. Just remember to remove the unwanted audio files like eg. 'English ch2'. To burn either use the Nero option in DVD Shrink or the dvd decrypter burning option and insert a dvd+r/-r what ever suits your drive.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2005
  5. nater11

nater11 Member

thanks i'll have to look into DVD decrypter, i never knew it was for anything but writing the DVD image.

so if i get this right, i need to use dvd decrypter to rip it, then use dvd shrink to _______? (copy/make ISO?), then use dvd decypter or nero to burn it. correct?

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

yup

dvd decrypter to rip it to your HD

dvd shrink to compress/re-author/ and when clicking backup check the part to output to iso and burn with dvd decrypter

dvd shrink may rip it? but its getting out of date now...

follow my sig for easy to follow guides...

7. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

In dvd decrypter Press 'F' or go to mode --> file and insert dvd and click the image of the dvd and hard disk.

Open shrink click on Re-author, find where you riped the dvd. This will be something like c:/The_day_after_Tomorrow
    open and drag the file called Main movie and any other files you want. Click on the Compression settings. Remove any unwanted audio/subtitles.

Go to Edit --> Preferences

File I/O and tick 'Enable Burn with Nero' (if you have Nero.

Click backup and choose either 'ISO image file then burn with dvd decrypter' or 'Burn with Nero'
    I never use The deep analysis option and my backups have been fine, but some do and its really up to you.

Remember to insert Blank DVD-R
    click OK
    after 30 mins (depending on burning speed) you will have a backup.

8. nater11

nater11 Member

thanks guys!!!

9. nater11

nater11 Member

Hey guys, i tried making a backup of The Day After Tomorrow like you guys said above, but during the decrypter session, it gives me an error towards the end, i get three choices - abort, retry, ignore. i tried all but cant get past this error. any suggestions?

10. Sir-Age

Sir-Age Regular member

Is the disc perfectly clean? I was trying to backup Troy a few weeks ago and it kept getting errors and as its a new movie I thought its the copy protection.It wasn't dirty . I took a cloth and cleaned it as well as i could anyway and tried again and it worked.

Do you have the latest dvd decrypter?

any info on what place you get the errors.
    I always seem to find errors in (name)5.vob or something i just remember its got a 5 and its around 65%-85% through but then i clean my disc and it fine.

11. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Try the 21 day free trial http://www.slysoft.com/en/

try the free http://www.dvd43.com/

Try also to read some great guides, freely available, written by both, Scuba Pete, and bbmayo who write that well even I can understand them.

good luck and happy burning

gringle.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2005
  12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I tried to backup my NEW copy of Day After Tomorrow for about 4 hrs one night. Tried every trick in the book that I know of. It just wouldn't finish a rip session. It was brand new, played once with no problems showing. I took it back and told the store it wouldn't play right and they exchanged it. Second copy went right through the process. There could be some bad pressings of this movie as there is with Spiderman 2. Just wanted to pass this on to you.

Jerry

13. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

another thing i might add is to pop the DVD in and let AnyDVD recognize it (or DVD43Free), then launch Decrypter/Shrink either one. this is not always necessary, but sometimes it was the only thing that would work for me.