1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference in TY?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Synthetix, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Taiyo Yuden DVD+R: http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-plus-r-media.html#

Product Code: DVD02X0098
    Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden

or

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R: http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles.html

Product Code: DVD01X0238
    Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden - Made In Japan
    Media ID: TYG01
    Mfr part #: DVD-R47VAL600SK

What is the difference on these? I read the glossary on DVD+-R. But on these, one is more expensive than the other and I can imagine that it is due to the 4x vs. 8x. My real big concern here is I want my back ups to be compatible with my Xbox, which is the 1st generation with the thompson drive. What do you all recommend? Thanx!

2. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

One thing I forgot to mention, my specs:

HP DVD 640i
    Windows XP
    256 MB RAM (wll be upgrading very soon)
    DVD Shrink / Decrypter

Since I'm a newbie, I bought a 3 disk pack of Maxell at wal-mart to mess with. I burned all the 3 dvds, one was a full disk back up, the other was movie only, but high quality, the last was movie only and I unticked the high quality preferences. All look great and can be played on my XBOX! So after reading many of posts, I see TY is a very popular. If maxell can give me great quality to my eyes, I can imagine TY! Thanx!

3. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

the only difference between those 2 TYs from supermediastore is the max rated manufacturer suggested burn speed.

the top one is TYG02, which is 8x; while the one below it is 4x, TYG01.

i use both of these with absolutely no problems, i would highly recommend either one and from supermediastore, they are legit Taiyo Yudens.

i personally only burn at 4x even on the 8x rated TYs, this has produced flawless burns with excellent picture quality countless times for me. hope that little suggestion helps you out a bit, if price is an issue, then the 4x will suit you just fine.

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

the 8x is "A" grade while the 4x discs are supposedly "B" grade

i would recommend the 8x if you want the best quality. i have some of both and the some of the scans are not the best on the 4x discs. but the 4x discs are still better than alot of the other media on the market.

5. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I bought the 4x because I have a standalone Toshiba that will not play +r and is very touchy about disks and errors. Not only does this standalone play these disks, but the quality is excellent, and my HP640i, and Nec1300a burns them beautifully, not one coaster.

6. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

thanx a lot, i ordered the 4x. Kept reading through the threads and it seems that a lot of top posters use these. Thanx again!

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Maxell – Manufactured by Maxwell, Ritek, RicohJapan, Taiyo Yuden

It could be very well that you received some Maxell's with the TY manufacture code. You can run them through a proggy like DVDinfopro http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ to see who actually manufacture those disk's.

You will not be disapointed by either of those TY choices though, but you more than likely picked the right ones to be compatable with your Xbox the -R will probably work better with a first generation Xbox than the +R's would. Where the Maxell's you used + or -R?

8. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

The maxell's i used were DVD+R. As for the coding, i used DVD Identifier, and no, it was not TY. The Maxell dvd+R did work on my xbox.

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully these 4x TY will be no dissapointment.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Xbox's are picky about media, but I will keep my fingers crossed for you :)

10. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

good luck, they have been good for me and i hope they are equally good to you~

TYs are super when it comes to playback and general compatibility. i have a VERY picky high end dvd player that will only accept TY and Verbatim so far, anything else it spits it back out looking at me like i just offended him and asks, "you must be kidding right?" :)