1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The dreaded "CRC" or "Cyclic Redundancy Check"

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by CloneDron, Mar 3, 2005.

1. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi to all that takes the time to read this. First let me say that I have searched the threads and can't find any thread talking about the "CRC" problem. Try it yourself if you don't believe me. I mean after all it's a problem I would have thought it would be on this site. Next what I have found on other sites are people claiming it's the new copy protection by I think Sony! WRONG! I have noticed posts made as far back as 1999 when I do a "Google" search. The problem isn't a dirty disk or an error on the the disk. I have replaced the disk and I get the same results. This isn't even a movie. It's a compilation of a series. I have tried everything under the sun and moon for that matter to get around the "cyclic redundancy check" issue to no avail. I tried different programs, different settings, different drives....well I've spent a day and half trying different things. I even tried to FTP the DVD from my Xbox to my PC. What I did manage to end up with IS the VOB's that's giving me the problem on my PC hard-drive BUT, DVDshrink looks at me and shakes it's head and states NO there's and error, DVD Decrypter looks at me laughs and states, you want to do WHAT!, Alcohol 120 staggers and slurs something to the effect of I think a giggle and fetch another drink, and a few other burning programs like Nero which is the lastest version says, I can do it but not today. DVD2ONE says, if these guys aren't going to help you then neither am I! BUT, BUT, if I run "PowerDVD" and pick that VOB, it plays fine! I did notice that the VOB size on the hard-drive is smaller than on the DVD but, the size difference has to be the result of the errors from the "CRC". I want my originals to be just that "ORIGINALS". I'm at my wits end!!! Does anybody know of a way to get around this "CRC" or a good program that will repair a VOB that's under the same situation as me so that you can make a backup or am I just plain out of luck. Any information would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED TEN FOLD.
    Thanks once again,
    CloneDrone

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I typed in "CRC" in the Search function above and got 100+ hits so there are many threads addressing all phases of the crc errors.

3. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Well thanks for the info, but I typed it in too and got nothing. I do appreciate your info and I'll be sure to try that on my drive. If all you wanted to do is prove me wrong, then why did you bother to post! Is that what you do? Search for sites that you are able to say this SOB doesn't know what he's talking about? Check the rest of my post and THEN tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!
    Again Thanks.....for nothing!
    CloneDrone

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

You can set DVD Decrypter to ignore read errors under the I/O tab in the settings ;)

5. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi Nephilim,
    Thank you for your reply but, I have already done that. It doesn't work when it comes to this "CRC". I have tried to save it as an image ISO and no luck. I have tried ISOBUSTER and no luck. I have tried UDF and no luck. If you hear of anything more please pass it my way.
    Thanks again for a positive input to this thread instead of trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
    CloneDrone

6. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

You can always try Vob Blanker and AnyDVD. That combo has worked for me in few situations when nothing else has. Hope it helps in some way. later.

7. Nephilim

Well it appears we're dealing with one heck of an error or a form of new copy protection. Have you tried running AnyDVD? When you say you've replaced the disc - is this a factory disc and if so what title is it?

8. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi again,
    Yes, it's the MASH series. I have done ANYDVD and it just doesn't matter. Like I was saying, I have the VOB on the drive but, that took a lot of opening and closing the drive when the ripper was more or less stuck. Now that it's there, I can't compress it. Oh, I've got a dual-layer burner but, I didn't want to have to pay $10.00 for a dual-layer media. I was hoping that there was some way that I could get these Vob's compressed. So far I haven't come up with any solution. One more thing, this isn't new (as for as protection goes) I found posts about the "CRC" as far back as 1999.
    Take care,
    CloneDrone

9. Nephilim

Ok so at this point we have the VOBs on the hard drive and the problem is we can't compress them correct? How do you mean they won't compress? Can you open the files up in Shrink?

10. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

Hi Nephilim,
    I get an error when I try to compress the vob file with DVDshrink and DVD2ONE. For the post about the VOBBlanker, I downed the program but, didn't run it. I don't know if it'll take care of what I want or need to do with these VOB files. Thanks for all the feedback on this.
    CloneDrone

11. Nephilim

I hate to say it but it sounds like it might be a bad rip. How many different copies of that disc did you try? Sometimes a store will recieve a buch of discs that were part of a bad run from a worn out or faulty master so even though you return it for a new one it doesn't help.

12. CloneDron

CloneDron Member

This was just the second one. I'm assuming that the rest of this particular Season and disc are going to be the same since I had the same run in. Oh well,
    I just thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else ran into this kind of problem but, found a way around it. Thanks for all the help!
    CloneDrone

13. aronnov

aronnov Member

would you care to tell us all your way around it? I'm having similiar problems with "Waterworld"

14. Kingd

Kingd Guest

CloneDron: You can use PSL files with decrypter to get around the crc error. When you rip with decrypter, when it freezes, it should tell you what sector it is trying to read. You then create a PSL file with just this sector and try again. If you want, you can put a range of sectors in the PSL, then you would need to decrease the second number and rerun decrypter until you get a good range of sectors where the crc errors are occurring. Once you get the range, then run it one last time with this last range in the psl and it will skip those sectors and finish the DVD. Normally the latest decrypter skips copy protection errors and pads it but not crc errors. It will just say die and say the disc is messed up. The final product should be a working dvd that you can then use shrink or whatever to process it. If you don't know anything about PSL files, search for it.