1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The DVR-108 ????????

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by nabster, Nov 30, 2004.

1. nabster

nabster Member

Hey, quick question. I've currently got a A106D Pioneer DVD writer that burns DVD-R's at 4x speed. Was thinking of buying a DVR-108 as they can write on some 8x's media I've got. Anybody got one of these writers? And will the speed increase in burning affect the playability of the movie's in standalones? Cheers for your time.

2. Bell_End

Bell_End Guest

Hi

I've got a Pioneer DVR-108. I'm one of those fussy gits who always regrets my purchases shortly after getting them as I wished I'd got 'the next model up'

I can honestly say I am so pleased with the DVR108. I have never had a better copier. The speed depends on the DVD +/-r you are using and also depends on the speed your hard disk kicks data out.
    I use Datawrite full face printable 8x and get the full 8x out of it. When ripping DVD's to the hard drive, it is quick reading too and will do a full 8gig DVD in about 20 minutes using DVD Decrypter.

Regarding the playability, I had a selection of blank DVD -r and +r. The speed had nothing to do with the ability to play back in stand alones, it was the actual type of disk used. I found a couple of DVD +r that wouldn't work in my main DVD but would work in my Son's PS2. The Datawrite hasn't given me any probs tho ;-)

3. nabster

nabster Member

so i'm burning 4.3gig discs in 17min's with the 106 at 4x...i'll cut that in half with my 8x discs on the 108.

4. Bell_End

Bell_End Guest

I'm just about to do one, i'll time it and let you know........

5. nabster

nabster Member

excellent stuff, would be good to know before i shell the cash out.

6. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Mine'll burn 4.3 gig in under 13mins. I haven't had a coaster yet with my 108s.
    I think I have now just cursed all of my future burning attempts!!
    LOL

7. nabster

nabster Member

Not a HUGE difference then, not really worth it for 4 min's.

8. Bell_End

Bell_End Guest

Right, I did 2 to get an average. (I'm not normally that bothered how long it takes)
    The first did completely in 9mins 40 secs the second in 9 min 2 secs complete.
    Both were full 4.3 gig disks.

Like I said earlier, it really is a great burner and you can get it for about £55 on ebay now. I paid about £70 in September.