1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the encoding and burning process became slower

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gmovie69, Apr 24, 2005.

1. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

Hey i was wondering if anyone has encountered the same problem as i am having right now. I use DVD SHRINK and then use Nero6 to burn and it used to take about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes now the process will take up to 3 hours plus and my comp is beginning to run slower than ever before as well. Also(When copying regular dvd's weather dvd + or - R) using the "COPY DISC" feature on NERO6 it has begum to act alower as well. If anyone can reply with some advice that would be awesome. Is there a folder someone i can delete the video files maybe that could be taking up space on my hard drive that i dont know about (Where should i look?) thanks a million.
    also while im here i might as well fit this into one topic. Ive recently tried to Backup BLADE 1 but at 44 seconds left on the analyzing screen in shrink it just freezes, ive tried Decrypter as well and at 50% it freezes also. Any advice for these topics would be appriciated, thanks again.

oh and one last thing i frogot to mention when using decrypter the mode is supposed to be in "iso-read" not "iso-write" right?
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Can you post your nero log. Maybe your drives are set to PIO instead of DMA.

When using decrypter, what are you trying to do? If you want to rip a movie and use shrink after, you may have better luck with using file mode. ISO write will burn an iso image.

3. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

Hey thanks for the reply, whats the diffrence btwn PIO and DMA when using NERO.

with the Dycrypter problem, i think i found out what i was doing wrong but thanks.

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

DMA stands for Direct Memory Access and allows for faster access to your drive. You can check Device Manager to see if it's stuck in PIO. If it is, uninstall the drive and reboot, then Windows should find it right away and you should be in DMA. Also, when's the last time you defragged your hard drive? That could have something to do with it.

As far as the Decrypter problem, your original disc could be bad, or just scratched or dirty. Blade 1 doesn't have any special encryption on it that would prevent you from ripping this movie.

5. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

i dont think i ever defrag'd my hd yet, sh** how do i do that, is it just a windows cleanup session or do i have to do something diff, thanks for all the help.

also just wanted to say i just went into nero and checked where it says "View system info" "Nero Info Tool" it says:

Primary IDE Channel
    Master: WDC WD2000BB-22GUAO
    DMA on

THEN WHERE IT SAYS MY DVD-RW DRIVE IT SAYS

MASTER HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA BLA BLA
    DMA off
    AUTO RUN off

FOR MY CD ROM DRIVE IT SAYS

SLAVE SAMSUNG CD-ROM
    DMA on
    AUTO RUN off

SO HOW WOULD I TURN THE MASTER DVDRRW DMA ON LIKE YOU SAID....
    THANKS AGAIN

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2005
  6. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

gmovie69,
    To turn the burner back to DMA go into Device Manager and under IDE/ATA Controllers you will see the Sec. IDE controller. Find the one that corresponds to the burner( Usually the 1st one) . Now right click it and click on uninstall. Now re-boot the computer and windows should install it back in DMA

How to De-frag
    Go to start> All Programs > Accessories> System tools> Disk Defragmemter

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  7. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

hey i did the disc defrag thing, it seems to go a little faster for a little while, so now i found the device manager and stuff but when you say

IDE/ATA Controllers you will see the Sec. IDE controller. Find the one that corresponds to the burner( Usually the 1st one) .

the only thing that says Secondary says channel not controller is this the same thing, however there are two of them, here the order of the devices:

Primary IDE Channel
    Primary IDE channel
    Secondary IDE Channel
    Secondary IDE channel
    SIS PCI IDE CONTROLLER
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

which one should i uninstall, also above the device that says:
    IDE/ATA/ATAPI Controllers
    i see my dvdrw drive and when i right click on it i can uninstall it from there should i just do that or would it be uninstalled forever. thanks

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

You should be able to double-click one of the secondary controllers and a properties window will show up. Then click the Advanced tab and you should see your burner model number if you have the right one.

9. happypc

happypc Member

I imagine that either you have a second IDE Controller (allowing up to 8 drives) installed (which is good if you have the need for more than 4 drives) or more likely...

...there's a conflict somewhere with your IDE drivers. I would actually suggest uninstalling all four listed channels as well as the controllers.

However, you may then need to get the correct drivers for your IDE controller, which can usually be obtained from the website of your motherboard manufacturer.

DMA is much faster than PIO, and when your hard drive encounters 6 or more CRC errors it will reduce its transfer mode by one level (from say DMA5 to DMA4. If it gets down to DMA1 and encounters another, it reverts back to PIO mode, which is painfully slow. This is probably where you are sitting right now.

See http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...lh_adp.php?p_faqid=1326&p_sid=eT88y_Dh&p_lva=

Uninstalling all the drivers causes Windows to install the drivers fresh, and resets your drives' CRC error counts and sets their transfer mode as high as the drive is capable. You want to do this on all channels, because if your burner is running at 16x and your harddrive is hobbling along in PIO mode, you're gonna miss out on most of the speed your drives are capable of.

Once you've got that fixed up, you'll probably want to do a full scandisk as well. CRC errors could mean trouble for one of your drives...

Hope this helps...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  10. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

F**KING awesome man it worked, guys i appriciate all the help, my dvdr is burning faster than i could remember now back to normal, this is great thank you so much HappyPC, i did exactly what u said and it worked, everyone else thanks for your commitment to this topic as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2005
  11. gmovie69

gmovie69 Guest

one last quick thing, if it begins to do the same thing again by slowing down, should i just repeat the same process i just did, is that okay or will that mess my comp up in any way?

thanks again guys u dont know how happy this made me.

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

you can repeat the process as many times as necessary, but hopefully that won't happen anymore.

13. happypc

happypc Member

Heh the only reason I know that one so well is cuz I ran into a very similar problem less than a week ago, and luckily I stumbled across that article on the Maxtor website. Glad I could help.

14. mursheddy

mursheddy Member

I have been having a similar problem.
    I was analyzing/encoding at around 1,500kb/s using DVD shrink
    I read through this thread and than checked my device manager.
    Both my Cd and DVD burners are on my secondary channel.
    I had DMA if available selected but the current transfer mode was not DMA. However my primary channel had a current transfer mode of Ultra DMA mode 5.
    So I uninstalled the secondary channel. When I rebooted I was analyzing/encoding at around 900 kb/s.
    I checked my device manager again and found that the secondaty channel transfer mode it selected was DMA if availbale but the current transfer mode is POI.
    I thought when I rebooted that windows would put it in DMA.
    I would appreciate any help thanks.

15. mursheddy

mursheddy Member

to follow up.
    My nero info tool window has for my seconday channel(my CD and DVD writers) both my master and slave

DMA off and auto run on.

but for my primary channel it has
    DMA on

I was excited when I bought my DVD burner but have just been frustrated with the slow speeds.
    Any ideas would be great.

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

you might have DMA disabled in your BIOS. Check that out.

17. mursheddy

mursheddy Member

how would I check my BIOS.

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Reboot your computer and before Windows loads up you push F8, F2, or Delete usually. It should tell you, but you've gotta be quick about it. For my computer it's Delete.

19. mursheddy

mursheddy Member

Here is what I found:
    Primary drive 0 Hard drive
    Primary drive 1 Off

Secondary Drive 0 CD ROM reader
    Secondary Drive 1 off

I can change my secondary drive 1 to auto is that what I should do?

20. squizzle

squizzle Active member

yeah that should work. Hopefully that fixes your problem.