1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Getaway

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Paolo75, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Paolo75

Paolo75 Member

I rented the getaway from blockbuster and copied it using nero with a pioneer 105. I made an image into the hard drive, then burned the image onto a dvd-r. The dvd-r im using are the green bulkpaq ones. When i put the backup in the ps2 (V3 Messiah 2) it reads that its a ps2 disc but when you select it, it just goes back to the browser menu.
    Any reason why this is happening, is it just protection on the disc?

2. Needakip

Needakip Regular member

Use a better DVD-R

3. Paolo75

Paolo75 Member

you mean the bulkpaq one aint any good? ive used it for loads of other backups and it seems to work no probs. does anyone know if the getaway is protected, and if so how to get around it

4. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

it has no special protection, copyied it on memorex dvd+r, and using magic 3.1, no problems,
    maybe slow down your copy spead?

5. ric2kus

ric2kus Member

i have the same problem, everything i load the game it show the ps2 logo than goes black, i think we copy the dvd to fast, i would try copying the dvd at a slower speed

6. mattbell

mattbell Guest

ive had the exact same prob, the media ive tried it on is "white label dvd-r x2"

matt

7. c7015

c7015 Regular member

It could be the media try a disc with a high toc level

Verbatim is always the best disc to use when you have a slightly more demanding game (ie..the getaway, Grand theft auto vice city. ect..)

8. jnj

jnj Member

I had the exact same problem and found the reason!
    I backed up several games successfully with a certain DVD-R brand and when I tried to backup The Getaway it did not work!

I have the Messiah chip so was puzzled why it did not work.
    I tried to do the backup with a different brand (exact same method of backing up) and it worked!

So some games are somehow more sensitive to DVD-R media than others! - does anyonw know why?

9. Shank69xo

Shank69xo Member

Different probs with Getaway.Mine stops loading in the middlwe of the third stage.I have 60+ back-ups and this is the only problem game.I'm gonna back it up today again at a slower speed.I'll let yall know if it worked.

10. c7015

c7015 Regular member

shank 69 xo if yours is freezing mid game it sounds like a magic 3 problem

what chip do you have ??

Last edited: Mar 2, 2003
  11. Shank69xo

Shank69xo Member

c7015
    I don't have a Magic 3.I'm using a No-Solder PnP & Swap Magic 2.0 on a ver.7 PS2.I burned it at 4X so maybe(i doubt it though)that might be the prob.A new one is almost done as I type.I'll let ya know.

12. ric2kus

ric2kus Member

" freezing mid game it sounds like a magic 3 problem "

Magic 3 have problems???
    Like what kinds of known problem are there
    and I m thinking about getting a network adaptor for my ps2 v4 with magic 3, will it works online???

13. c7015

c7015 Regular member

yes magic 3 chips definatly have problems mainly with freezing (cused by overheating)

if you ge t a magic 3.1 you will be fine becasue it has a sleep feature.

another chip you could look into that is equally good if not better is the messiah 2 pro

14. Shank69xo

Shank69xo Member

Well I stand corrected.....out of the 60+ backedup games I have done,15 of them are on 4X disks,out of the 15,one game had problems.The Getaway.So I backed it up again using a 1X disk.It works perfectly.Now I wonder how many of the other 14 4X disks are going to mess up mid-way thru the game.Ohh well,I guess I'll find out.

15. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

It's been my personal experience when backing up any PS1 or PS2 game faster than 1x you're going to eventually have a problem down the road. It sometimes might start freezing up on you, or often times you will start to see frequent skipping as the disc ages. If you want to preserve your backup as long as possible I strongly suggest having a little patience and burning at 1x.

16. jr_

jr_ Guest

On one of my PS2's the only media I have found to play The Getaway with out flaws is Verbatim. Fugi Film almost works but one cut scene gets stuck. PS2 V7 Messiah 2
    My wife's PS2 would freeze temporarily for a few seconds during game play with a Magic 3.0 even with the original disk for the Getaway.
    Change to a Magic 3.1 fixed it

17. DickBone

DickBone Member

I too have problems with backing up games like gta vc and the getaway. Unfortunately my burner does not support 1x burning.
    But I think my lens needs calibration because I get the same when playing the original GTA:VC dvd.
    "Error reading Grand Theft Auto Vice City DVD" and occasional lock-ups and buildings popping-up in your face are a big pain in the butt.
    Any info on calibrating?

Oh yeah before I forget to ask.. Does anyone how to read the TOC from your DVD+R and game cd'd? Is there a program to use to find out the value or whatever?? Platinum DVD+R discs have 4.438MB free space does this mean it has a high value?
    Please help me, I hate waisting DVD+R's

Maybe I'll try to get different firmware or something like with that pioneer drive that can read 4x with special firmware.

18. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

The first time I backed up Getaway the copy would load the PS2 screen white text then go black and never recovered, this has happened on rare with occasions with 2 other games. I simply burn the DVD again and it works fine. I thought it was the new bios in my DVD burner that was giving me trouble, its nice to see that my fears are now unjustified. I use Record now Max and make a .gi image every time. This is particularly helpful when a DVD recording goes bad. I used to just do disk copy but now I make images to save time. There are a few other games that did the same thing but a few out of a hundred is not so bad. I burn all my DVDs at 1X my max recording speed is 2.4X. I record all PS2 CDs at no faster than 8X, this works for me. As far as GTA VC goes I did notice that once in a great while the graphics get screwy, like when I smack a truck into a motorcycle and then hit a wall (Squish) cool but when I try to get on the motorcycle that is still under the truck I fall through the world and can see VC from like half a mile under the City. Strange huh when I move it zaps me back on the sidewalk. That might be a game glitch and not a CD glitch, who knows?

19. wcpir8

wcpir8 Guest

I use maxells and they all work pretty good. u got to check the original for scratches, that too can be a problem, where the error is copied to the backup. Happened to me with vice city. Disc had a very small, but cost me about 4 blanks before i realized.

20. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

If you use record now max and make an image it will stop if it cannot read the disk. If it finishes the image you are good to go. This is how I tell if a disk is scratched too bad or not.