1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Great DVP 642 FAQ Thread

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ryN, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ryN

ryN Member

Since the topic on the infamous Phillips DVP 642 DVD/DivX player is getting very long, I figured that we should compile all of the knowledge learned of this player into one, comprehensive FAQ.

I will compile it for you and post it. But I need your help. If you could leave common knowledge, hints about the player (ie, the stop button trick, menu button trick), what it does and doesnt play, hints on getting a successful Divx playing, where to get firmware, tech support numbers, etc., it would save alot of people alot of time. Hopefully this will be the reference to end all searching!

Thanks!

2. billdozer

billdozer Member

This is a greeat idea if those who have information are willing to join. I personally have been looking fo the firmware update but unfortunately, the Philips link is no longer available. Anyone willing to point me in the right direction or even e-mail me the file would be grteatly appreciated.

3. vap0rxt

vap0rxt Member

I'm also looking for the firmware, seems to have been taken off the phillips site. If someone can send it to me i'd be greatful. I have the dpv642/17 model. Thanks in advance.

Please pm me if your can send me the latest firmware.

4. billdozer

billdozer Member

Since posting my reply, I have both found the firmware update and that my 642/37 already has the 1109 firmware. Also, how to find your current firmware #.

Open your disc tray and wait 30 seconds, then press 5,6,9,ok. That will show you a screen with your firmware, plus allow you to change your model number.

DO NOT change this, your video output will become scrambled and you may not be able to see well enough to correct it. As someone else has already written on another thread.

I also found out that after finding thsi firmware page, my video output changed from Y,P,Br to S-Video making all my video output to varying shades of blue.

You can find the update at

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642k_78/dvp642k_78_fur_eng.pdf

Good Luck

5. ryN

ryN Member

Great this thread is going in the exact direction it needs to. Please do not ask questions in this thread, though. Please save those for the other thread. The only thing that should be posted are facts, like the one above.

6. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

7. aerogurl

aerogurl Member

Just wanted to bump this up a little.

I've asked similar questions in another thread and would love to have a list of shortcuts (ex, holding stop opens tray)...

8. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

FOr subtitle problems,

Yes this player supports .SRT files. First go grab the latest firmware available for your player:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp630_02/dvp630_02_fus_eng.zip
    This is 1109 I think , and supports both dvp630 and dvp642

Then, get a subtitle reader for your pc (VOBsub) and put the name of the movie the same as the name of your subtitle file ( gladiator.AVI , gladiator.srt). Test if it plays and you can read the subtitle on pc.

1. Then burn the two onto a cd or dvd and make sure they're in the same folder.
    2. Pop it in , hit the "disc/menu" button on the remote. You should see the contents of the cd/dvd on screen and be able to navigate around.
    3. Go to the subtitle file (it has a text icon next to it), and hit the "subtitle" button on the remote.
    4. The screen should say something like "Divx Subtitle Selected"
    5. Go back to the movie file and hit "ok" button. It should display subtitles once played.

9. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Aragorn,

Please correct if I'm wrong, but I've seen you posted a reply in another thread in this forum that by hitting the "system key" twice with the remote control and that will easily let you bypass/play any divx code error right? My question is I've had a few AVI and DIVX anime that won't play and won't show any codec error at all, it said that it's "playing" on the dvd player and on the tv, but no sound, no picture whatsoever - any idea or any help? In prior to load or play with the "no sound/no picture" - my cd-r and dvd-r loaded and the menu said; it's in MPEG4 format. I've tried to press "system menu" twice but no luck. Other than that, it plays nearly 98% of all my AVI and DIVX format discs. By the way, my model/version is a DVP642/37, so is there any new firmware upgrade/update for this baby to correct those DIVX format that it's having issue playing? I've been to PHILIPS website and found nothing on firmware update at all. Your help is greatly appreciated.

(Just a note to add for this awesome player. It does play "DVD+R DL" beautifully. I've tested with 3 discs of my 2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL and it's playing like a champ.)

10. arag0rn

arag0rn Member

alkohol,

This sounds like a codec issue, but hard to tell w/out GSPOT's output readings.

Click on my Xvid re-encode link above. Follow the directions, except of instead re-encoding the whole movie only do a 3 minute clip. Then put this clip on a cdrw and see if your player can handle it.

To select only 3 minutes worth in Virtualdubmod, hit the HOME key, then drag the slider bar at the bottom a short distance , and then hit the END key. The re-encode should take about 5 minutes....

11. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

i was looking at philips web site and it appears the filmwire update has bin removed. i know im not suppost to asks questions in this thread but i think a link for an updates would be a good addition to this. :)

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Aragorn,
    Thanks for trying to help anyway. Like I said, it simply just won't play at all - no codes, no sounds, no pictures[TV is blank in black] whatsoever. However, it displayed on both my TV and PHILIPS player that it's "Playing or Play", and even if I tried to fastforward or skipped the chapters, still no luck. Before I put in my dvd player, it played smoothly on my computer. In addition, I've checked with "Nero" before and after burned, it stated that it's in a AVI format. It seems odd to me due to the fact that most of my DIVX and AVI format on cd-r & dvd-r plays nearly 98% successfully without a glitch/errors. Now, I'm lost on what to do except "re-encode" like you've stated above on your link, but I'm wondering how come it's only a few disc that's having the issue and most of them play fine? I used quality media such as "MAXELL, FUJI and TDK" for the back up and now I'm thinking that it possibly may be some kind of firmware issue in the player itself, don't you think? Other than that, I dig this player as much as my 55" SONY HD TV due to the fact that it plays/read nearly everything you throw it in.

Again, your help is greatly appreciated.

13. rooney8

rooney8 Regular member

i like it

14. zombies

zombies Member

if you see pixelations (lines on the screen e.g. when the actor moves or the camera pans), press the 'system' button twice and voila, the pixelation is gone...

also, to open the disc tray using ur remote (no open tray button on remote), press the stop key and hold it for 2-3 secs..

cheers,
    /g.

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

alkohol..try running it through NanDub 1 time.just don't forget to select direct stream.This has corrected some problems for me,similar to what U describe