1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the halibut of it all

Discussion in 'Windows 10 forum' started by dp70, Jul 9, 2017.

1. dp70

dp70 Member

I had to use system restore on my win 10 laptop because START button stopped- and right click on start - stopped, and everything else said: application not registered. For a change system restore worked - BUT restore to last point- 2 days ago---says product not activated.

I foolishly waste time to run the Micro$haft activation troublemaker and get one of the best Star Trek 3 double dumb-ssed messages: we found a windows 10 home digital license for this device running Windows 10 home. To activate using this digital license, you need to install windows 1o home---- That Catcha 22 is some catcha---

You can not pay for entertainment of this caliber. My Doberman still says bow! wow! for this o/s...and he has been dead for 3 years.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

download the latest win10 iso from ms as your version was already activated. has to be home version as that is what you have registered not the pro version that you don't have.

3. aldan

aldan Active member

you really should,dare i say it,contact microsoft.i built a new computer and,of course,my win10 wouldnt activate.one phonecall to ms solved it.i was told to sit back and have a coffee while it was activated.the moral of the story is,instead of being a drama queen,take the logical steps needed to solve the problem.

4. dp70

dp70 Member

The only Windows 10 ever on this computer, was/is the home version. MS fix was to give a new key. But it gets better- in the aftermath, a tech runs MS sysinternals, and deletes every flagged file, upon reboot the HDD is no longer found on boot-up....I have to run system restore ( again) and the dreaded failed to activate returns....as I have this machine backed up- I format the HDD and install the latest iso...all goes well for 18 hours BSOD- and who crashed gives unknown device driver is possible cause...for a while MS and Intel agued as to whose video driver was w10 ok= MS said no, Intel said yes-

5. dp70

dp70 Member

Insofar as drama queen, I have MS in math and physics, and worked with computers in 1964- when IBM would send a new tech if they could not find the problem in 30 minutes- the big thing way back then was simultaneous linear equations of an earth to moon trip--NASA put men on the moon, with less computing power than today's home PC...and a lot of punch cards. As best as I can determine, it is the order the device drivers load that causes the BSODs on this Toshiba.

6. ddp

did you load the motherboard drivers 1st after windows installed?

7. dp70

dp70 Member

I used what MS win does 10 home creators edition, installed- post first boot- it updated video drive with Intel.
    The o/s did the choosing, and in all instances it reported best drive already installed.

8. ddp

make & model# of the Toshiba.

9. dp70

dp70 Member

A205-S5825 - ssd added and external usb Wi-Fi of n speed- original Atheros removed.
    According to MS it is compatible... most drivers are MS. video Intel- all drivers are from MS.

10. ddp

what does it show for soundcard in device manager as should realtek? I'm on the Toshiba site & no win 10 drivers except for bios update.

11. dp70

dp70 Member

Microsoft HD audio - MS claims best drivers installed in every instance.

12. ddp

13. dp70

dp70 Member

In the device tree - the Intel chipset video drivers are installed- yet it is flagged with the properties caution :

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)-
    I ran the Intel utility- result same error but now a bigger yellow sign, for video chipset and USB devices
    The Realtek audio drivers are installed.

Will see what the future holds. Thank you

14. dp70

dp70 Member

Will see what the future holds. Thank you[/QUOTE]

The future was bleak- the Intel USB drivers decided to allow my Android cell to not be recognized and when the USB phone cable was plugged-in, my external Wi-Fi decided to turn-off. I had to use a cat5 connection to repair the "changes"- I usually let MS have its way with default installs, unless performance is painfully deranged.

For some reason the inf file for the cell had to be told to go back to work-another usb thing.

15. dp70

dp70 Member

A play on words from the Marx Brothers - as in Windows 10 - the term hell applies to some hardware/driver misery.
    After MS tech support rendered my Toshiba, unable to boot by deleting everything sysinternals flagged, I reverted back to Windows 7 the main use of that laptop is Dolby / dts/datasat software for cinema audio.

DP70

16. ddp

spammer has left the building.

17. dp70

dp70 Member

Post mortem: Working on a laptop is little fun. I got aggravated enough to check the motherboard--- one bad solder joint on the BIOS + leg. The solder joint was cracked, rendering an intermittent fault condition.

18. ddp

did you resolder the joint.