1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Horror, The HORROR

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by cougar128, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cougar128

cougar128 Member

I just got done reading some article talkin about the longevity of CDs/DVDs. Apparently they don't last that long as I had previously thought, and cheap ones can go bad in like a year! Is this true? If so which brands offer the longest lasting stability? What specifically other than scratches and whatnot would make a good disk go bad?

I was once a believer in getting the cheapest media available that wouldn't produce an instant coaster. Never imagined that I should also be worrying about it turning into a coaster at some random point in the future.

Wouldn't it suck to find out 5 years down the road that all your backed-up pics and videos magically disappeared from the disk they were on?

2. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Yes, bad media can go bad in a year, sometimes less if not properly taken care of. However I will share what has been my own personal experience having burned CD"s for years and DVD's just for the past few months.

Cheap CD-R media shouldn't concern you as much as cheap DVD media in my opinion. I still have no name CD-R's from years ago that have been scratched up and what not but they still work. I have found TDK to be a very reliable CD-R maker and those discs still play as well as the day I burned them. Philips and Sony are good as well.

As for DVD media, Taiyo Yuden is widely considered the favorite among most of the members here. Great for archival as well as consistency purposed. I recently purchased two 50 pack spindles of Taiyo Yuden and have only burned a few so far, but no problems as of yet. Looking forward to burning many more. As for what can make a good disc go bad besides scratches, obviously excessive heat and moisture would mess things up. Also, never wipe DVD's in a circular motion when cleaning them. Always wipe from the center moving outward in a straight motion using DVD cleaning cloths or something else that you know to be safe.

I have also tried Memorex, Sony, Philips,E-Gear, GQ and Maxell. So far, so good. I have only created a few coasters but those were as a result of mistakes on my end. Ever since I have perfected my burning method, absolutely no coasters or problematic discs.

I would love to say that you can buy any cheap media and, as long as you take care of it, it will last as long as advertised. I cannot do so without having archived DVD's for years and then replaying them. Certainly you will have to take that risk when you burn using questionable media. Yes, it would certainly suck to find that your backups would be lost down the road.

In conclusion, I would suggest buying Taiyo Yuden and other DVD media that is made in Japan. Considering good brands like Sony and Maxell and TDK are always on sale, you can also go buy those and get great deals without worrying too much about them going coaster on you. Really the experiences will be different for each individual. I have had great fortune with every brand that I have tested, whether that will remain true as time goes on has yet to be seen but I'm optimistic. :)

Good luck with your endeavors and have a good day!

3. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

By the way, great "Apocalypse Now" reference. Loved that movie. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2005
  4. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I have a few backups that are a couple years old and have been watched probably 100 times or more, and they still work as good as the day they were burned. I don't expect any problems with the disc not working to ever happen. I do take great care of the backups and use only good media, usually maxell

In the past I have had that problem with cheap cd-r's (memorex or store brands) but the more expensive ones (SONY, or TDK, VERBATIM) never had any problems. Thats one reason why....

I DONT BUY CHEAP MEDIA.

5. cougar128

cougar128 Member

Thanx for the quick and detailed response CG_Gurl80 (and for noticing my little homage, lol)! So where do you normally buy your Taiyo Yuden DVDs at and are they descently priced?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  6. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Hey cougar, hope you're having a good day. Hehe, I felt compelled to respond to your thread based on the title alone. Anyone who can make a small tribute to one of the greatest movies of all time deserves answers, lol.

As for where I got my Taiyo Yuden's, I ordered them from www.supermediastore.com.I paid $48 for two 50 pack spindles, which is a pretty good deal for high quality media. Depending on where you live, they do include a map that shows how long it will take to ship to you, you can receive them in as little as two or three days. :) The link to the DVD's is here:

http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-100.html

You can also find them at www.rima.com
    http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1736-100

Both stores are currently carrying them at the same price but I offered both links because depending on your location and other possible purchases that you may want to make, it might be more convenient for you to purchase from one store over the other. For what it's worth, my transaction with supermediastore.com was great and I received my package in two business days.

Check them both out and feel free to ask if you have any further questions, I'd be more than happy to help you out. Name is Amy by the way. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2005
  7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I recall several different folks mentioning data corruption within a year or so with CMC media. I'd find the threads but they're buried somewhere in this forum and I'm a lazy bastard ;)

8. cougar128

cougar128 Member

Hey Amy, I just wanted to let you know that I got a great deal on some TY's at Best Buy. I found out (from this site!) that FujiFilm's that are made in Japan are actually manufactured by TY. So I capitalized on Best Buy's sale (50 pack for 20 bucks) and bought the rest they had, heheh. So now I'm set for a while. Thanx again for the help (my name's Adam by the way ;-) ).

9. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Hey Adam, that's cool. I haven't tried Fujifilm yet but I've heard the same thing that you did. If they are showing up as TY's, presumably can't go wrong there. Good luck with all your burns and have a good day!

10. kchev

kchev Regular member

the fujifilm's are not bad, but the ones from rima and supermediastore are alot better

i have read alot of people have been having trouble with the fujifilms. they seem to be hit and miss with their quality

11. CKY_2084

CKY_2084 Guest

So what you are saying is that all my backups will at one point in time disappear even with good media? Also what about the original Movies you buy, do they at some point turn into coasters? Is your HD the only safe place to store data forever?

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

CKY The japanese fuji's are Taiyo Yudens - if the package says made in taiwan they are'nt I bought some of the fuji White surface printables at sams club they are made in taiwan but only cost me $ 10.00 for 50ct. spindle they code out as prodisc Fo1's I figure that for $10.00 i can afford to try them out !I tend to prefer to buy my media in person rather than online but that's me ! It's easier to argue with someone in person if yu have a problem. although from reading the post most afterdawners buy online -from NEWEGG.COm ect ! I may do so as well when my supplies get low. ' I love the smell of napalm in the morning' peace & happy burnig

13. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

I wouldn't go as far as to say that is what definitively will happen to you. Let's hope not. ;-) But, if you use questionable media for archiving, you run the risk of failed backups. The better the quality of the blank media, the more likely your movies will outlast you. Of course you won't know this until you try it out many years later assuming you live that long.

Don't worry about the movies you buy turning into coasters. As long as you take care of your DVD's and clean them, as well as your optical lens every so often, they will be fine. The more preemptive steps you take to defend your media, the greater the likelihood that they will last for as long as you need them to. Cheers!

14. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

In addition, your hard drive is actually less safe than archiving onto high quality media. That is why it is recommended that you back up your important files onto quality DVD or CD-R media for future reference. Never assume that your hard drive is the only safe place for your media.

Your computer can crash, get loaded with spyware and viruses and possibly even fry out at some point.I've seen hard drives fail within a year or less in some cases and believe me, it is not a pretty site. The useful life of a PC is around five years on average, due to the advancement of technology. The useful life of a high quality DVD is supposedly around 100 years.

Situations will vary and so will opinions, but it is always better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. So only archive onto quality media and take care of your components as well as your output.

15. cougar128

cougar128 Member

Yeah, I definitely agree that keeping your stuff on DVD Media is MUCH safer than on a HDD. Info stored on hard disk drives can very easily become corrupted relatively speaking, and actually the greater the size of the file, the greater the chance of that happening. That's why high-end video editors use RAID setups to ensure that the giant video files they store on their comps will be safe.

As for the FujiFilm DVD+R's, I tested a disk from each spindle and they are all TY's. So just make sure you check for the all-important "Made in Japan" phrase on the bac and you should be good to go.

Ohh, and Amy, your Patriots better watch out for those Eagles in two weeks. This is finally their year! :p

16. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

Haha, no way Adam! The Eagles are a great team and I hope Terrell Owens gets to play but they will lose to My Super Patriots on February 6th. The dynasty will continue! Besides, Tom Brady is undefeated in the playoffs and he's super sexy to boot! *sigh*