1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Incredible backup freezes

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by bigdm, Mar 22, 2005.

1. bigdm

bigdm Member

Over the course of 5 days, I have tried to make a successful backup of The Incredibles that did not freeze in different parts of the movie. I have tried 3 different original copies of the movie with all my backups freezing in the same part of the movie. I use DVD43 and Nero Recode 2. In my backups I keep the main movie and the menu. The extras are deleted. The burn always says successful. It can't be the media since I have backed up at least 10 other movies over the past 5 days using the same media that play with no issues. In additional this media has been used to copy over 100 other movies in the past 3 months without one coaster. I have cleaned and cleaned the originals to where they were spotless but no matter what, the backups freezed in the exact same spots (keep in mind 3 different originals). I have DVDSHRINK and Decrypter but would like to get some idea if this will work before I turn more disks into coasters. I came here to see if others were having problems with this movie and from my search it appears so but I did not run across anyone posting that they had the same problem that I am currently experiencing. Any help would be appreciated. Oh by the way I burn at 2X and the media I use is MAXELL DVD+R 8X.

2. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

I backed up The Incredibles the other day with Shrink and AnyDVD (newer version) and it turned out great.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Do you mean you are burning at 2.4x? Have you used this media before? Do you have the latest firmware for your burner? Does it freeze only when you play it on your dvd player or does it do it in your dvd rom/burner as well? Do you know what the media code is for your maxells?

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

have you tried playing the movie straight from your hard disc, at the same spot that the burnt copies go splat ?.. it's worth verifying that you ripped the movie to hard drive correctly

5. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Its either 2 things. One...bad media. Two bad disk that you are copying from.

6. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Oh. I have backed this up as well. No issues. Great movie. Well worth trying to get the issue resolved.

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yer, cracking film, enjoyed it at cinema with my girls. even though youngest (she's 4) was so tired she slept thru most of it bless her

8. bigdm

bigdm Member

Okay, I checked a few things after reading your replies and will answer some of your questions
    1. Yes, I meant that I burn at 2.4X
    2. I have used this media over 100 times for burns
    3. I don't have the latest firmware which would allow me to read the media code. Other than that I have not had any previous issues with backing up movies.
    4. I played the original disk this morning in my DVD player and it played fine as did the previous 2 original disks. Then I played the original using Windows Media Player on my computer and it frooze in the exact places as the copies. So this rules out the media since I am playing the original.
    5. The spots the movie freezes are at the beginning of the movie where it shows the Incredible insignia just after elastigirl interview. Another place is when the children are are fighting under the dinner table. One other place is when Mr. Incredible parks in his driveway after being fired and ask the little kid on the bike what are waiting for. I forgot the term but could this be where the DVD is switching layers (interlace???).

I am somewhat stumb on this one since now it is the playing of the original disk on my computer and nothing to do with backup software. The question is why this movie since the 3 movies I backed up yesterday and the 10 before it over the past 5 days all play fine. I have 108G hardrive with over 85G free space and plenty of ram.

BigDM

9. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

DVD decrypter and DVD shrink worked fine for me with this movie. You said the original froze up in your computer using windows media player. Now that sounds like it's a problem with the original movie or your dvd drive has a read problem. If the original has a problem surely the copy will. Not sure if your using 2 dvd drives to rip and burn try using your burner to rip and burn using decrypter and shrink.
    I've used that maxell media seems to work fine on my drive sony DRU710A but it is supported on sony's website. I would also suggest after burning run media threw nero cd quality test or dvdinfopro. See if it has alot of errors. What's your burner name and model may be time for a furmware upgrade. Sounds like your on the right track with my experiance slowing the burns down to 4X or 6X stop freezing of movies I was having. I think my xbox laser has gone to crap most all my movies freeze in it but play just fine in my Apex. Just a little advice if you putting alot of files on hard drive and deleting them you may want to run a defrag on drive right regular.

Good Luck

Spacedust..

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Good points all.

After trying spacedust’s suggestion with your burner ripping this time, and if it still has the same problem, then try renting a copy and see what happens. I had absolutely no problem with using AnyDVD and Nero Recode2, movie only.

11. bigdm

bigdm Member

I do not believe anything is wrong with the original DVD since it plays without freezing in the DVD player but freezes in the exact same place as the copies on my desktop computer. When I get home tonight I will play the original in my laptop DVD drive and also play it in my desktop DVD+RW drive. This morning I played the original in my desktop DVD ROM drive. If this does not work I am at a lost as to what to try. If the original is having problems then there is no need to try Shrink or Decrypter. Two of the 3 original Incredible disks I backed up came from 2 different rental companies. 2 of the 3 original disks played fine in my DVD player with no freezing. I never even tried to play the 3rd original disk in my DVD player. All backups made from the 3 different originals experienced freezing in the exact same locations.

No one answered my question on whether it was possible that this is occuring at the layer change. I don't know anything about this to even check.

How do you use NERO to check for read errors? I have never done this before. Can I use it on the backup that I already have or do I need to set something up while actually making the backup?

I have a HP 300N drive. I will check and see what type of firmware I upgrade I need.

BigDM

12. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

open nero start smart, extras, test drive, extra, cd quality test. Maybe try running the original threw this to you can see it if it's at the layer change.

Good Luck

Spacedust

13. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Since most stand alone dvd players are somewhat less sensitive to imperfections in dvds that the readers on computers you would /could expect this discrepancy with a less than perfect original dvd. Try different disc such as a rental of the Incredibles. Bad pressings are more frequent than we would like. Just some quick thoughts.

14. seandesad

seandesad Guest

first burned this at 8x.. had freezes.. dropped it down to 4X not one issue..

15. davepdp

davepdp Member

I am having the exact same problems as you described. I ripped with DVD Decrypter, stripped unnecessary streams with IFOEdit, used ReMpeg to shrink it (DVD Shrink fails with the ripped files) and used Nero to burn at 2.4x (with latest firmware) on 8x Fuji media. The original rip, the stripped version and the remuxed version all work fine on my PC with PowerDVD. However on my Sony DVD player the ReMpegged version freezes for a moment when the movie first starts and freezes hard when it shows the Incredibles insignia. It then freezes sporatically throughout the movie getting worse towards the end of the movie. I have successfully burned 2 other movies with the same media/hardware.

16. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

If you still haven't tried shrink I would do that after I looked to see if there is a firmware update.

17. Batman400

Batman400 Member

Well you have either a program problem or a media problem, now I just sat down over the Xmas holiday and burned 20 movies and all were coasters and why because I bought a spidle of MEMOREX and they were crap and I used 100s of the same brand before and then theres the firmware upgrade I think this could be your problem, because you said the movie plays well in a DVD player but in the copies it stops or freezes and then the original froze the same way well being played on your computer and using Windows Media player, so what you can do is change your media for this 1 burn and see if thats the problem, or you can open your box pull your burner take all the info off it and go on line and do a firmware upgrade this will take all of about 15 minutes and end alot of problems if thats it, I just installed a new burner and had to do a firmware upgrade and the burner was just made 2 months before i put it in, I know this stuff drives you crazy but hey its the simple things that do that. And by the way if you are buying 8X you should let your burner burn at 8X thats what it is made for, the only reason to burn at a slower speed is for cheaper media and the newer burners cant handle the 2X burn this requires a firmware update or at least they did last year,
    Anyways this is just my 2 cents

Batman400

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@bigdm,
    Give this a try I have a guess here just play along and see what happens :)

Turn off DVD43 or AnyDVD if you have that going and play the original in your DVD ROM now... Does it still freez? If not I think we found your problem.. If it does... well it was worth a shot :)

19. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

I've had some "good" backups but don't think I've had "incredible" ones.

20. davepdp

davepdp Member

I checked the IFO for the movie and noticed it had different "angles". The angles appeared in the 1st chapter which is where the 1st freeze occurs so I decided to keep Angle 1 and remove all other angles. I used IFOEdit for this. Afterwards, DVD Shrink was able to work with the files and I burned the DVD with no problems. Not sure if the angles were the problem but sure seems like it.

I have the Full Screen version. Did anyone have a successful burn with the Full Screen version?