1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Inducing Infringement of Copyright Act

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by siber, Jun 23, 2004.

1. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

I see your point on that, and I do agree with you, making everyone liable for the actions of a few is not right. dRB should not be responsible for the boneheads that support piracy on this site. However, how many people use P2P for legal purposes? Besides, the sites that are not allowing illegal activity are not going to be held liable for the action of people on other sites. I was simply trying to point out that they are not trying to make the sites illegal, just hold people responsible for the illegal activity that is allowed on the site.

Since you didn't like my bar tender analogy how about this one?
    If I host a site that helps people make contact with other people and one of the forums on that site has to do with serial killers, bank robbers, or prostitutes then I should be held responsible for any illegal activity that occurs from the two parties meeting on my site. If I know that they are there to meet for those purposes and that those purposes are illegal then I am a party to that crime in reality. Now if I own the same site and I do not offer those forums and the 2 parties get together and commit the same crime anyway, then I should not be held liable for their criminal activity.
    The point is, if you know it is happening, you offer a location for it to happen, and you do nothing to stop it from happening then you are a party to the criminal activity. At that point you are just as guilty of the crime as the people who commit it.

2. Helpful1

Helpful1 Guest

Double standard?
    The music reps rip off the artists, yet cry fowl when P2P users rip off the music reps... Go fig?

As far as movies go, that commercial with James cameron and afleck who push 'don't steal movies' always makes me think, would it be that big of a deal for the 'little guy' who's running the blockbusters down the corner if the wealth was better distributed? Instead of paying actors like Afleck Xmillion dollars for a movie like Gigli, spread it around a little more to the costume designeres, the script writers, the camera guys, etc.

3. Actuator

Actuator Guest

Patrick Leahy and Orrin Hatch can go chitty chitty bang bang themselves with lollipops in there donkey cracks

4. pooleet

pooleet Member

that bill is total BS!!! it is the equivalent of holding gun manufacturers liable when people use their products illegally, i.e. use the gun to rob a bank or murder someone.

it is the same as holding automobile manufacturers liable if someone uses their products to commit crimes, i.e. as a get-away car or in vehicular homicide.

that law will open the flood gates on liability if it is passed.

5. connectr

connectr Member

The Bill may indeed be BS, but it is what is moving through the law making process. In reference to your comment about gun makers, there are already been court cases pending where gun manufacturers will be held liable in a murder or robbery.

The US "justice" system no longer seems to recognize personal responsibility. It seems that no matter how stupid someone is or what cautions a manufacturer put on his product, if an idiot misuses the product, the manufacturer get sued.

The gene pool needs chlorination!

6. pooleet

pooleet Member

i have heard of people trying to sue gun manufacturers for crimes committed with their products. i am assuming the suits weren't very successful, otherwise all gun manufacturers would be out of business due to the overwhelming use of their products to commit crimes.

and yes, the gene pool does need cleansing. too many stupid people are making laws in this country.

7. askyew

askyew Regular member

I personally don't like the smell of it(record company money). There is something you can do about it though. I turn everyone I can on to cdbaby a web site for the independent artist. If you take the money out of the recording companies you take away their congressional power(I know its sad). You can preview all types of music before you buy and you are buying from the artist. These are not shady people they are only second to amazon in online music sales. As far as the artist they are real artist that have been pushed aside by "the industry" to make room for good looking talentless zombies that will sign their lives to them. All of my kids buy from them, the average cd costs $10usd, and the kicker no micro$oft products are used in the making of their web site. If you want to kill the snake you gotta cut its head off.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]P4 2.8c @ 3.2
    Abit IC7-G
    2x80 gb seagates barracudas
    ATI AIW 9600 soft mod by w1zzard
    2 x 256 pc 3200 Kingston valueram(hynix chips)[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  8. nanu-nanu

nanu-nanu Member

Let them pass this ignorant bill!!! Think about people WHAT COMPANIES produce the hardware that INDUCES US TO do what we do? When the RIAA sues you, just sue them back for "inducing" you by the very fact that RIAA members are the very companies producing lots of the hardware and software needed to perform alledged "infringments". And then dont forget to seek contribution from Apple and Dell and any other Mp3 player manufacuter, (hey we get to even sue ol'bill Gates himself Windows comes with buring software), all were designed to "induce" this infringin criminal behavior. Support the bill, and see pure ignorance at work....seriously. Once it passes they will realize how stupid it is, especially when the first person tried under it can say, "well RIAA jackass's it was all your hardware....so go f yourself"

OOOOOHHHHHH woe is me!!!! WOE IS MEEEE!!!! I could not be a criminal if the RIAA members were not producing everything I need to be a criminal. WE ARE THE REAL VICTIMS. Think of it this way the RIAA members are drug dealers and WE are simple victims of there evil.