1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Many Faces Of Widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by diabolos, Aug 26, 2005.

1. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Whoops! I was asking about the pics of either aspect, 1.85, 2.35:1 looking larger with the anamorphic DVD's on 16:9 digital sets. I didn't realize that the non-anamorphic pics had grey bars vertically on the screens, taking up some of the screen. Makes perfect sense now. Thanks!!

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Wide-screen 19:9 -- [1.78:] Fills the entire wide-screen TV. If 1.85:1 it will leave a very small boarder and on a 4:3 TV either leaves a boarder but is acceptable for viewing
    If 2.35:1 [or scope] the wide-screen has to much boarder [is a sliver on most 4:3 TV] and is UN-acceptable
    Sure you can screw around with the aspect ratio but it usually results in time and likely a quality loss. I have found very few flicks in anamorphic , or a DVD or TV that are smart and would react to it and who wants to screw around with a movie that is bought or rented. Rental outfits mostly provide 2:35:1 or some fullscreen versions. Frankly I would rather watch a fullscreen than a 2.35:i

I have films that are wide-screen 1.78:1 and are excellent on wide-screen and very good on a 4:3 TV.
    I have yet to find a flick, bought or rented that tells what the aspect ratio is.

Many try to state that wide screen is anything over full-screen in aspect ratio
    If it says Wide-Screen I want it in 1.78:1--[1.85:1] OK --- 2.35:1 no way
    If it was in 2.35:1 I take it back and I don’t care if the box says wide-screen
    There is No Reason to provide these 2.35:1 movies for TV viewing on any TV, they belong in a cinema scope theater