1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the missis is going to kill me!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by celtboy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. celtboy

celtboy Guest

i copied my wedding video from my camcorder to dvd-rw on my samsung home dvd recorder,i finalized it so it would play on other machines,but when i put it into pc,as i want to edit it,cybrerlink power-dvd won't play it????? i have burned movies and copied movies b4 and they all play???!! any help?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

did you get an error message why it wouldn't play on your computer? Is the Samsung recorder a stand alone recorder? or is it a burner in your PC? and what media are you using? some burners and players are very picky in what it will read and sometimes spit out disks that are not very compatible to it! So this could be a player issue with media. Here are some other suggestions:

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

follow these little tips of the trade and you'll have better success! good luck.

also read this:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/
    why the +R media is better than the -R media

I hope you didn't erase the camcorder with your wedding video in it! This way you can try again with better media.

3. celtboy

celtboy Guest

no message,but the disc info ie,time remaining etc are visable,recorder is stand alone.dvd-rw,i played it into tv and copied it on recorder as i've done plenty of times befoe and no probs...can i get it from camcorder any way easy??

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you can capture your video directly to your computer if you have the correct hookups and software! then you can convert your video to DVD compliant files ready for burning! I use Dazzle Hollywood bridge that gives me RCA jacks and hooks up with a USB cable to the computer ...... I use this to convert my VHS tapes to DVD! I use a capture program and then converter program to convert...... but it does take a long time when capturing to computer. It does take hours and if your way is faster then I would stick to it. try changing your media to better quality media like Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or if you are using RW disks use Sony RWs. These are better compatible disks with great quality. Maybe you'll have better luck this way!

5. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I have a Samsung DVD-R120, and have copied many VHS tapes to DVD-R successfully, avoid using DVD-RW if possible, If I remember correctly there are two options available to format DVD-RW disks, one is DVD-VR and the other is DVD-V (?), and I've never been able to copy these disks to a computer, something about Samsung not playing well with other standalones. Samsung players generally only use the -R disks, and not the +r varieties for recording, mine will play anything, including DL disks.
    The only way I have been able to mass copy for other players is the following, Use DVD-R disks, finalize them, then use DVDDecrypter or CloneDVD2 to rip the disk onto the hard drive, then burn with either CloneDVD2 or IMGBurn. Not sure why this works, but just know that it will, I hope this sheds a little more light.

6. celtboy

celtboy Guest

ye vr/v modes,wtf? i'll try -r's, i only used rw as to not waste them.could i just load dvd onto pc in movie maker?

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

Never tried it, you can be the guinea pig, report back what your results are. Which model do you own, and is it similar to the DVD-R120? (Samsung)
    Your camcorder isn't digital is it, I assume that it is an older VHS model? Digital camcorders can be ripped directly onto your computer via a firewire and a firewire card which are available online for cheap.

8. celtboy

celtboy Guest

-r 100e model, but i can record sky tv and play on pc,but when i go to play in stand alone no go?!